• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Terraining Contest - Ashenvale Tileset[Dead]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Meh, a terraining contest and I missed it (notice to myself: check contest forum more often). Hmm, perhaps I find some time to create something.

@Goku-X: Nice terrain, bad screenshot. Try a closer screenshot see we can't see unfinished terrain or map borders.

@Mecheon: Already looking forward to see that fortress.

Level 7
Good Job Goku X but: Zoom in! Put a sky! U can do it by map preferences then view then sky! & turn on the game view (Maybe thats the name correct me if im wrong) then itll look perfect! Also add some living creatures at least! Put Cairine resting! & im working on my terrain ok?

Level 13
I know the submit date for Ashenvale is over, still wanna show you this one.

moonyriver12yn.jpg

Waterfall and some trees may be missplaced, did it in a rush :wink:

Level 10
I also should check the contest forum more often! 8)

I think you all are false putting VG at the third place. Here's my ranking:
1. VG Satomi
Greatlooking, unique terrain without obvious mistakes in placement or terrain. Goodlooking use of parts of other terrain sets.

2. Emergency
Atmospheric terrain with some interesting constructions like the platform, seems useful for cins. But the edges in terrain (which I saw only at the second view) make a higher rating impossible.

3. Jetpack
Nice terrain with some interesting design ideas, but the table platforms look out of place.

You look for Mecheon? You won't find him. I think his screenshots are as simple as they look: Many doodads don't make many detailes and there shouldn't be a time bonus if you search for the best terrain. The only interesting idea is the stranded ship, but the waterfall coming out of it is completely out of logic.
@Mecheon: I hope you don't see this as flaming! :lol:

If Dark Shadow would have been on time, he should be on the 3rd place, I think. Nice nature look, but without new ideas.

And another point: at the end (after having checked all the tilesets) you should make a contest for combined terrains.

Level 25
Yeah, I also feel that the swamp is rather basic

The waterfall is somewhat logical, as the ship is kept up just on the sides, allowing the water collected in the crater from the constant rains and whatnot to occaisonally seep forth from underneath the ship's ruined bottom

I have a backstory to that place as well

Anywho, Bloodaxe should hopefully be better

And I also agree with your saying that Jetpack's tables look very much out of place. Its hurting me with a simular thing in Bloodaxe as well, but I have a sort of workaround

Level 10
Yes, I believe the basic tileset was Lordaeron summer, but it has only the brown cliffs and the Barrens trees, so... at least it looks nice! I'll post it again with Lordaeron theme! :p
this is also not extra made for this contest... (too much work for fun and not more) it's for my campaign - you now may know for which cinematic this scene was built. Another hint: it's in the second part of the trilogy! :wink:

@mecheon: the waterfall from the ship may be logical - it wasn't as easy to see from a screenshot. :oops:
And another question of an uninformed person: What is "BloodAxe Fortress"? A project by you, I think, but what type of project (cin, rpg, campaign...)?

Level 3
Mecheon said:
And I also agree with your saying that Jetpack's tables look very much out of place. Its hurting me with a simular thing in Bloodaxe as well, but I have a sort of workaround
It really is a problem with WarCraft 3, it doesn't really have any nice looking platforms.

Level 25
Bloodaxe Fortress is a sorta campaignish thing. But its not, really

I mean, I occaisonally work on it, but its mostly just terraining stuff I do for fun. It was ment to be part of a series of cinimatics set in a world called Anaska

Level 3
Mecheon said:
I mean, I occaisonally work on it, but its mostly just terraining stuff I do for fun. It was ment to be part of a series of cinimatics set in a world called Anaska
Anaska is almost an anagram of kansas.

Level 25
HERE COOOOOOOOMES THE FORTRESS

The last sun of summer slowly falls below the horizon as the many grazers begin their trip to the north

bloodaxe1.jpg

The last rays pick up a sign of a slaughter, now a feast for the vultures, as a wyvern flies to return to its nest

bloodaxe2.jpg

Nothing can deter many of the beings here from leaving their lairs, even as others fight just outside

bloodaxe3.jpg

As a scorpion crawls from underneath its resting place, a traveler comes to a stop. He has arrived at the Bloodaxe Fortress

bloodaxe4.jpg

Forged upon centuries of war, the Bloodaxe Fortress is both the major war facility of the Orcs, and their capital city. Their houses are often placed on top of one another, minimising how much space is used by them

bloodaxe5.jpg

Bridges are used to connect certain areas, so that the orcs can easily visit the local shamans, and so the shamans can stay in tune with nature

bloodaxe6.jpg

What the Fortress is also known for is the Trading District. A huge building, every orcish salesman plans to have a store in this shopping metropolis, noted for stocking weapons, food and drink

bloodaxe7.jpg

The mighty harbour is located near the Trading District. The Lumbermill is located on it, for imports of lumber far away, and just up the stairs lies the Forge, where the orcish weapons of war are built and prepared

bloodaxe8.jpg

Past the residential district lies the Grand Centre, where the chieften lives. Next to it is the Graveyard, where a memorial sits to the first orcish chieften. Behind where the chieften's throne sits is the Wyvery and Dragon Roost. Though the roost is often not inhabbited, occaisonally bronze dragons from the north will fly down to inhabbit it

bloodaxe9.jpg

Behind the Grand Centre is the Military District. Siege weapons lay everywhere here, as the orcs are taught valuable lessons on how to raid, pillage, plunder and destroy

bloodaxe10.jpg

A view of the harbour and forge from the very top of the Trading District

bloodaxe11.jpg

A view of the residential district from the Shaman's Tent

bloodaxe12.jpg

The Bloodaxe Fortress. My most insanely complex terraining feat to date. The idea for the houses came from one of Glitch's terrains down at TheHubb, and as they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Custom models:

MANY Gaiascape models (Download is at the Hubb for the entire batch I think)
Barrens Abre tree (Enviroment pack, without the skin for it)
Orcish Spearthrower (Model by me, skin by someone who I forgot)
Orcish Highlander (Skin by someone, check it out at Campaign Creations)
Orcish Warchief, non-Chaos version
Orcish Advanced Grunt (Models section. By Warbringer I think)
Termite model (Check the Models section)
Hyena model (Models section)
Scorpion model (Model by me, AWESOME skin by Olof)
Dragonhawk Nest (Runic Arts model, by PaulH)
Bronze Dragonroost (Model by me)
Antelope (Model and skin by me)
Wild Kodo (Skin by Olof, model by me)
Orcish Wolfrider on Worg (Model by Alfred)
Black Worg (Simple mdl edit by me)

Word

Level 10
Wow, this is the best fortress I've ever seen in War 3!! :shock: :D
But I don't know how much you can call this terrain work for the contest, only the third picture is really terraining, the rest is mostly modeling, isn't it? Anyways, it looks very nice and my terrain was also not really Barrens terrain work... 8)

Now invent an interesting story and turn a cinematic using this awsome scenery! :)

Level 3
My terrain 8-P

Well here's my terrain.

EoL_village01_.jpg
Screenshot of my Cinematic, "empire of legends; 3"

2. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Craka_J/scenery3.bmp day at the beach

3. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Craka_J/scenery2.bmp stalker

4. http://s7.invisionfree.com/Wc3_maps_forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=3712251 Screenshot of my open rpg (Age of Darkness)[1]

5. http://s7.invisionfree.com/Wc3_maps_forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=3712253 Screenshot of my open rpg (Age of Darkness)[2]

Level 25
While some of those terrains are nice, none of are Barrens terrain

And we're dealing with the Barrens already

And my hyena (Or Gnoll Wolf as you call it <_<;;; ) has been in the model section for ages. Go and gawk at it. My version is a bit slimmer than the uploaded one though

Level 4
No offence to him, but i think that all mecheon's terain was just modeling. None of it was terain at all, exept for map 3, and that was nothing special.

Maybe if you put your castle into a modeling contest, you would do superb, but all of it was modeling(exept for screen 3)

All of it was totally flat ground with models on top. That is not teraining, even if the models where superb.

Level 9
My terrain is ready, I just need to get some good screenshots ready. And to those who think mecheon's terrain is just modeling, you don't just place a doodad and expect it to scale/rotate/pg-up/pg-down/etc./etc. In many ways, doodading with models requires a lot more patience, something not everyone has.

EDIT- I'll put them up tommorow. I saved them as pngs for good quality, but the filesizes are about 600kb apiece, I'll just thumbnial thme so you can see them at will.

Level 25
Terraining is the use of doodads as well as making the actual terrain do something

I don't know where YOUR idea of terraining comes from, but a terrain without good use of doodads is more worthless then a totally flat ground with doodads piled on top

And its not totally flat either. I'd upload the map, but there are too many models that certain people would kill you for having

Level 9
Ok, 8 screenshots of Barrens terrain.

Be wary traveller, you have are nearing one of the mighteast fortresses ever to stand...
BarrensFort2.png

Not only does it have housing for an army, but it holds a great dock system that can store many small trade boats in it's keys.
BarrensFort3.png

A sprawling residential area houses an array of habitations for the orcs, most notably the appartments, which save valuable space for tents and the like.
BarrensFort4.png

Shamans visit on a regular basis to offer spiritual guidance to the soldiers, and they are accepted with great hospitality.
BarrensFort5.png

Not only does the fortress offer housing for armies, it is alos self sustaining. The great forges echo day and night, molding metal into weapon.[/i]
[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/Keenan122/BarrensFort6.png

Whilst entering the fortress, you will notice it's dynamic setup, the industrial section occupies one side, while the trading complexe snakes throughout the other side.
BarrensFort7.png

One of the main appartment areas, this section is built upon multiple sections, allowing orcs to scout at the top level others explore the multiple sections underneath it.
BarrensFort8.png

Another feature of the fortress are the great trees have been hollowed out for observation use. On a good day, you can view 5 miles around while standing on the highest one...
BarrensFort9.png

PS: Sorry for them being so small... They were 3 times that size when I uploaded them. Ah well.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
doodads and stuff is fine but that is more doodads than terrain....

With or without units, it's still a terrain. I only don't like terrains that have units which look bad in that tileset.

Ok, 8 screenshots of Barrens terrain.

Hmmm the buildings placing is not bad, but I don't like the way you use the tiles. You use Grass too much. You could use Grassy Dirt a bit more. It would look better.

-Rui

Level 25
Should have added a fair bit of grassy dirt to represent tracks made from people walking and stuff. That's why I have that huge dirt track in the first picture of the Fortress, to show that many, many Kodo heards have been going past, absolutely trampaling the dirt

And look, you CANNOT do much with the raise, lower and cliff features, so you NEED to use doodad abuse

Level 10
dothackking said:
... i thought i would enter this contest.... but these people are not posting terrain... terrain is the stuff in the menu labeled "terrain"

terrain is what is ON the tarrain. that includs doodads and units.

Level 4
I stand corected. The doodads are terain, because they go on terain, and to say its not would be like going into a real jungle and saying " hmm its a bit muddy" and not taking note of any trees, just saying they dont count, which, of course, is ridiculous.

Level 10
I think metal_sonic's fortress looks a bit more unique, in mecheon's, the buildings inside the main wall often stood single. But the texturing... for the inside of a fortress, this is really too much grass. It would have been run down if it was real. :?

And again, I suggest to limit the use of custom models within the screenshots of this contest, because the art of terrain making is the way you use stuff and what you can do with it. If you have more custom models, you have of course more possbilities to arrange it and it (should) look(s) better. That's unfair to those, who don't have these models and you can't take for granted, that everybody here only has half of all more or less useful models on this site... :?

Level 25
You can get most of my models here, Campaign Creations and the Hubb, except for the Scorpion (I need to upload it), the Spearthrower (Need to upload as well <_<;;; ) and the nest doodad (Part of the sadly deceased Runic Arts)

Anywho, I have an interesting concept that I'll try to work on for Black Citidel. I just need to find a proper tree model...

Status
Not open for further replies.