• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Hero Editing Assistance Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
My request shouldn't be to complicated for you guys to translate. I am trying to simply add a mace to a blade master. Well remove is sword and replace it with a mace should be simple right, well I'm a noobie so you'll have to guide me through this one. I have read some of the tutorials that fit this modeling question such as basic weapon removal and the how to guide by horn, but the problem is they all refer to basic units and heroes are packed full of so much more that when trying to attach the weapon it doesn't ever turn out right. So if you can guide me to a place for the answer, or place it here thatd be great.

Level 1
well i was using the etoile model that i believe i found on this website. The model does come with a texture. The program i use is 3dsmax 4 so if this information helps, I really don't know what the difference would be in the outcome of using in game.

Level 29
Well the steps should be something like this:
  • Import your model from the .MPQ file of blizzard using Magos*.
  • Open your model (either of them) in max**
  • Merge the other model with this one***
  • Delete all the sword's vertexes or polys
  • Put the mace instead where the sword was
  • IMPORTANT - link**** the mace to the hand's bone (a box that is probably called something like "bone_left_hand")
  • Export your model to ".mdl" format using Art Tools***** and fix the textures paths****** (I don't know if its only me, but the Art Tools fails with textures for me)
  • Open the model with Magos and save as a ".mdx" format (you can also fix textures here)
  • In case you do not know what your textures paths are - look at them in the ".mdl" format
  • Export into the game and have fun :)

* Click here to download Magos.
To get a model from the MPQ file, click on Windows -> MPQ Browser, now find your model in the correct location and export (don't open) it as a ".mdx" file.

** To export from ".mdx" to ".3ds" download this max script.
If its your first time working with max scripts, simply follow the Read Me of the script.

*** To merge, simply go to File -> Merge.

**** The "Link" button is located on the top/left area and looks like two boxes that are connected by a chain.
To link, click on your mace (while the link is activated) and drag your mouse towards the bone. Release it on the bone, and see the bone blinking once. If it didn't blink you did something wrong.

***** Click here to get Art Tools.

****** Here is an example of how to check and fix your texture paths.
Open the ".mdl" file and find the line that says "Texture".
If your model uses texture(s) it would look something like this
Code:
Textures 1 {
	Bitmap {
		Image "textures\DeathScream.blp",
	}
}

Now thats the correct path, so instead of that "war3importedmodel\whatever.blp", put the path that is inside the ".mdl".
To fix the paths, just type the correct path (if you know it) or assign your textures in Magos.

Notice: if you want your hero to have a weapon attachment, add it or get the one from the sword (if the blade master has one).
If you want to learn how to add attachment points, look in the Art Tools read me.

Level 1
well ty im not sure i linked the models whenever i replaced the sword dont recall them ever stating that in the tutorials so ill give it a shot

Level 1
tried using that script you mentioned but doesn't work for 3dsmax 4 as stated on his thread only 3ds 5 + so I still gave it a shot but I'm struggling in the Text area when copying over the weapon data. Due to the fact that the blademaster has a Bone_Sword in his coding it screws with the mdl. Right now texturing isn't my concern just getting that mace into place so if you could still possibly help me thatd be great.

Level 1
can anyone explain the script ghostwolf is speaking about cuz finally got ahold of a version of max compatible with it but i can't seem to find anywhere in the read me where it speaks of exporting from .mdx - .3ds in fact it only seems to read .mdl files so if you can contiue to help that would be great.

Level 1
Ok everyone who has helped me out so far heres where I am:

I basically took Mr. Wolfs advice :) and followed the steps above from what I assume (I could have made errors) and my model with the mace is where it needs to be somewhat. The problem thats occuring now is that the script used smashed the original model that I was editing and the model I was adding to it into a single geoset so now if I wish to add multiple textures the I dont know what to do with the material ID. To summarize what I did in 3dsMax just so you know:

-Import maced.mdl
-saved mace as .3ds and started new file
-used script stated above to import HeroBladeMaster (imported all his Anims)
-Merged the mace.3ds and blademaster
-put the mace where the sword was
-linked the mace to Bone_Hand_R
-Exported as .mdl

Hope you guys can help ... TY

Level 1
I dont know why I didnt get this from the beginning it was clearly written from the model tutorial by horn frankly I think I was so excited to try editing models that I might have skipped some stepps. Anyways Thank you all for your help and replies. Basically all I had to do after moving it into the right hands position (using vertices as stated by horn) was replace the swords geoset which should have been obvious after that attach it to the swords bone not the hands and WALLAH!

Heres a pic if ya wanna ... see nothing special.

ss01.jpg

ss02.jpg

ss03.jpg

Oh and props out to the maker of the etoile mace thanks a bunch:thumbs_up:

Status
Not open for further replies.