• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Editing the Warcraft III Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi,
I'm currently working on a map where the model file (as well as the game data) of the main character (it's a single player campaign, see) changes depending on the items in hus inventory. Now, this requires the use of one character model and several attachment models (one for each weapon in the game), I know that much. The problems started with the process of getting the character model. I figured it would be an easy way out to just snatch one of the models already in the game, take out the weapons and presto; my work is done. This proved to be a more troublesome process than I had anticipated though.

I choose to use the Human Mage creep model file, so I extracted it and shrank his weapon into oblivion using 3ds Max 8. So far so good. So I imported the model into my map using the Import Editor and the model shows up accordingly. Now I can sense how close I am to my final goal, and with trembling hands I move the cursor over the Test Map button and click it. And suddenly I realize just how much of a failure I am as a modeller. You probably know this already, but by editing the model and then just importing it all the unit's animations are gone.
It would be an understatement to say this troubles me.

So basically I'm asking, is there a way around this? And just how impossible is it to make your own animations using 3ds Max 8 (seeing how the model will require different animations for each weapon/attachment)?

Thanks for taking your time to read this.

Level 2
I'm not quite sure I follow you here. 3ds Max 8 is the same program Blizzard used when they created the game models (I'm not mistaken, right?) so it should be compatible with the game. Or am I missing something crucial here? Is eight a bad version of the software or something?

Thanks for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.