• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Paired Mapping Contest #4 - Dungeon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Ok, since I tried to help Coconut-NL but failed miserably since my WE+U all of a sudden got an unknown problem which I cannot fix in many several ways and some of my maps got corrupted with it (including the contect map), I conclude that I'm completely out of the race and shall have to abandon the team.

If DonDustin joins Coconut again, I don't know. The future at the moment is very unclear.

I hope I didn't disturb you. Now'll I go get my coat.

Level 24
Ok, since I tried to help Coconut-NL but failed miserably since my WE+U all of a sudden got an unknown problem which I cannot fix in many several ways and some of my maps got corrupted with it (including the contect map), I conclude that I'm completely out of the race and shall have to abandon the team.

If DonDustin joins Coconut again, I don't know. The future at the moment is very unclear.

Ride on brother!:cry:

We shall win in your honnor!

Level 21

THAT's what I am talking about when i tell you WEU IS BAD! stop using it!

Damnit... is that so hard? I always said it can corrupt your maps...

Whatever, our current progress is:

-65% Terrain.
-80% Spells
-0% Gameplay

Level 10
Here's another WIP... a big hall :grin:
By the way, Avator and me are at a good point with the map but I must admit that an extension would be appreciated :smile:

Attachments

• Hall.jpg
    Hall.jpg
    572.3 KB · Views: 149
Level 13
Its about time to tell us if there is gona be extension. It might be possible to make the map ready for deadline, but it wont be as good as we want it to be.

Hero spells ready 7/20 - some of these might be changed tought, due our maps terrain and visual effects.

Main Bosses 2/3 - alltought still few bugs and need to adjust them and maybe even make more spells for them.

Level 17
In total we have:
3 Optional Bosses for loot.
2 Bosses to reach next Level.
1 Final Boss to win the game.

We are planning to make 4 heroes for now but might be more if we can do it in the allowed time.

There will be no quests except killing the main boss, so it's just an hack 'n slash map and mainly for loot xD. Howver to make it fore fun there are puzzles you need to solve, you can try as much as u want, but when u do it incorrect you need to kill monsters. xD

Level 21
Well the game play of our is like this: kill the first boss (easy boss), then go to the second boss or the third, after the third is the bridge to the last, which can only be passed if all bosses beside the last are dead.

If you enter the second or the third boss door there will be a short "pre-dungeon", 2 possibilities are there, a maze with traps and such, or a spawn room with random monsters and 1 elite monster, if you kill the elite( a small boss ), you will be teleported in the boss room, or if you complete the maze.

Level 17
Oh yeh, our main bosses have 4 custom spells (very advanced) to make it harder to beat them, they are made by kewlthis (my partner).
It's most likely that I'll make the spells for the optional bosses but i'm still a newby at spellmaking. xD Most of the time it wont work the way I want it to.. xD

Level 9
wow my team is falling behind; we got up to the first boss in terrain and almost in everything else, not the boss yet though. in fact we don't even have a good model for this boss. if u can think of anything like a icy beast or just some kind of undead four legged beast then that would be great, because Ebrik has decided to stop modeling for the current time so all he does now is the map stuff and I need him for models xD.

Hah! Make it bloody. bloody is an understatement of my level, there is blood everywhere, and I mean everywhere.

Level 18
wow my team is falling behind; we got up to the first boss in terrain and almost in everything else, not the boss yet though. in fact we don't even have a good model for this boss. if u can think of anything like a icy beast or just some kind of undead four legged beast then that would be great, because Ebrik has decided to stop modeling for the current time so all he does now is the map stuff and I need him for models xD.

Hah! Make it bloody. bloody is an understatement of my level, there is blood everywhere, and I mean everywhere.

Glacial Destroyer - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site
It's the first model that came to mind with that description.

Last edited:
Level 9
Okay, sure yeah I would like an extension, but by a month? have you not even started your map yet? if you aren't lazy or not working for other reasons (lazy in my case) it should take maybe a week, and half a week for testing. I would say roughly 1 to 2 week extension if any. Also I am still working on my 1st boss battle, but once I get stuff set up I can basically just CnP my triggers, and edit them to fit the situation.

Level 13
Okay, sure yeah I would like an extension, but by a month? have you not even started your map yet? if you aren't lazy or not working for other reasons (lazy in my case) it should take maybe a week, and half a week for testing. I would say roughly 1 to 2 week extension if any. Also I am still working on my 1st boss battle, but once I get stuff set up I can basically just CnP my triggers, and edit them to fit the situation.

Yes we have worked on the map. And maybe some of us really want to make good map? Maybe month is more that we need, but I would like to have enought time to finishe everything we want to do.

Lets see how would I need time.
1-2 weeks for heroes and bosses (most done)
1-2 weeks for testing
1-2 for puzzles, misc triggers, items etc...

So 3-6weeks it would take. I dont think a month is too much, since it doesnt harm anyone even if the contest lasts longer. But meh, i would like to see atleast 2 extra weeks + about one remaining week, I think we could make stuff in that time.

Level 9
Okay, I'm not gonna spam this thread with an argument about how fast you map. I am having trouble helping with my teams map because all of the time that I can make the map I am at my moms house doing school (home schooled) and then I go back to my dads and his computer doesn't have Warcraft III and thus no World Editor; but my older brother has my computer that has Warcraft III on it so when I get that back, I can finish the triggers (my job to finish) quickly and it will be almost completely done.

Level 17
Lol, the terrain is the easy part, our's is already done (for 2 levels). It only uses doodads, no lame blixx cliff walls! =:D
So walls are made out of doodads, etc. But actualy that's all there is. Wallz... xD
And some corpses and rocks.. :p But it look's cool I promise.
And well, it can be finished before the deadline, but it will be an abomination at that moment. Hardly any good gameplay.

Level 17
Time for some showing off!!
Here are a few terrain screenshots, yes our terrain is almost complete and made by me! =:D

The Prisons - Part of the first level of the catacombs. The only part that's still intact, these prisons were used to hold prisoners that were sentenced to die.

A Staircase - It's the staircase from the upper second level to lower second level, the second level of the dungeon lies in ruin and it's hard to reach certain places.

The Burning Caves - The third level lies very deep, and thus it's not a surprise you'll find small places with lava comming out of the ground. You'll need these caves to reach the relic because the original path to it is broken.

Burning Battle - This is the place where you will find one of the many ressurected elites that will try to stop you from reaching the relic.

Path to the Relic - This ruined path on the most lower level of the catacombs will bring you to the relic, but you'll have to enter the caves because this path is no good enough for your party to travel on.

Attachments

• Path to the Relic.jpg
    Path to the Relic.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 292
  • Opt. Boss Zone.jpg
    Opt. Boss Zone.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 278
  • The Burning Caves.jpg
    The Burning Caves.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 300
  • A Staircase.jpg
    A Staircase.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 339
  • Prisons.jpg
    Prisons.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 303
Level 2
Instead of posting WIP terrain shots, why don't we post WIPs about the map? You know, the one that actually matters. Because who cares if terrain looks good if the gameplay sucks, right? :)

The map's almost done, there are 5 level for this contest. Me and Sabertooth_X shall continue thereafter.

Into the Abyss
Latest Version: v0.1 Alpha

Map Overview:

Into the Abyss is a dungeon crawler type map which takes place in a deep cave. A group of wanderers wade through a cave but fall into a trap, sending them into the depths which leads to an ancient, forgotten city.

Features:
  • 10 huge levels planned out.
  • Powerful, scripted and fun bosses!
  • 7 different classes to choose from, with more classes possibly added in the future. Current classes are Druid, Necromancer, Ranger, Assassin, Templar, Cleric and Wizard
  • An advanced skill tree system adapted from Diablo III, each class has three different skill trees which he can level up by using skill points. A hero gains a skill point by leveling up and killing bosses.
  • Each skill tree contains 6 spells, these spells require you to level up your skill tree in order for them to be unlocked and used.
  • A neat stat system which allows you to spend stat points to increase your three major stats, which are Power, Dexterity and Energy. Stat points are gained through leveling up and defeating bosses.
  • A Trance system which effectively adds to gameplay. Each player has a Trance bar, which goes up whenever he attacks or gets damaged. When the Trance bar gets full, the player can use a Tranceform(Pun intended) ability that amplifies the player's fighting capabilities.
  • A random item-dropping system with item weights and stuff. Most drops would be gold, HP and mana pots. The more rare drops are Trance pots and etcetera.
  • Amazing and dazzling terrain works which, not only look great but are
    strategically designed for the player's gaming experience.

Level 17
Damn u Malf! Now I have to make one aswell to keep the attention at our map!

The Jagged Relic

Overview:

The Jagged Relic is an ancient relic that was made in the second age of men. When two powerfull forces collided in a battle of unknown proportions, the second age of men came to an end and a new age began.
The survivors tried to rebuild their war torn world above the ruins, but that was a mistake they wont make a second time.
While digging the main foundation of the new capitol they stumbled upon an old catacomb, you could hear horrible screams.
It did not take long for the undead the crawl out of their tombs and haunt the living.
Can you destroy the relic before all the warriors beneath the ground are ressurected to once more fight for evil?

Features:
  • 3 Underground levels filled with monsters and puzzles.
  • 3 Main bosses that are scripted beyond imagination!
  • 3 Optional bosses to disable traps or to unlock treasure rooms filled with powerfull items!
  • 4 Unique classes for now; Elementalist, Dark Wizard, Holy Knight and the Berserker.
  • Each class will have their own unique custom made spells to enhance gameplay.
  • A system that will make sure you can only wear one weapon or shield at the time, some items can only be worn by certain classes.
  • A system that will drop random items, most will be potions but maybe if you're lucky you'll encounter some relics!
  • One of the best dungeon terrains ever made, as you could see in the screenshots provided in an earlier post.

Level 18
Features:
  • A Trance system which effectively adds to gameplay. Each player has a Trance bar, which goes up whenever he attacks or gets damaged. When the Trance bar gets full, the player can use a Tranceform(Pun intended) ability that amplifies the player's fighting capabilities.

That's from the FF9 game. As you probably know, that game is turn-based. If you're going to make it real-time, you can tank and trance like hell. If 1 unit takes all damage, it'll be in trance in no-time while the whole party benefits from the XP. How are you planning to prevent that?

Just a little question :wink:

Level 17
That's from the FF9 game. As you probably know, that game is turn-based. If you're going to make it real-time, you can tank and trance like hell. If 1 unit takes all damage, it'll be in trance in no-time while the whole party benefits from the XP. How are you planning to prevent that?

Just a little question :wink:
They could just give less trance to melee classes? :p
It's a good idea, but it's still stealing something from a other game, making it very un-original.
And because your becomming competition for us: BOO BOO BOOO, nah joke.
but still, YOU ARE BADZ ROFL U HAX!!!!! :thumbs_down::thumbs_down:

But serius, could u tell us how that bar would look like? It sounds interesting, and I like the idea.

Level 18
It's probably a bunch of llllllllllllllllllll as a bar, which fills gradually when taken damage. They'll probably display it in a multiboard.

Here's a link to a random FF9 battle. You see a grey bar getting greener (The ATB Gauge) and just below it is a dark brown bar, getting more and more red when the unit takes damage. It's not much on first sight, but if you compare the start of the fight with the end, you'll see that the bar filled up quite some. Imagine that with 10 foes attacking you at the same time, every 2 seconds. That's why I was wondering how they were planning to fix that.

Level 2
2 attacks add 1% trance, taking two hits add 1% trance. If you attack or get hit while below 50% hp, you gain trance twice as fast. You won't have the hp to tank 10 units, even then if you do, they'll give 5% PER ATTACK, which would probably leave you with 20 hp. Tranceform has a 2 minute cooldown too.

Airandius said:
It's a good idea, but it's still stealing something from a other game, making it very un-original.

To be honest, I'd choose uniqueness(which apparently, your map lacks in, no offense) rather than originality. Speaking of unoriginal, look who copied my post layout, with some minor color changes.

And yes, it's displayed in the multiboard, along with other stats like Skill Tree levels.

attachment.php

Screens.

Attachments

• fire1.JPG
    fire1.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 81
  • fire2.JPG
    fire2.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 85
  • fire3.JPG
    fire3.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 77
  • trance.JPG
    trance.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 181
Level 18
To be honest, I'd choose uniqueness(which apparently, your map lacks in, no offense) rather than originality.

You mind explaining me the difference between unique and original? Seems pretty much the same in my opinion.

Also I'm wondering how you made those life and mana bars in the multiboard. I'd rather have such a look in my FF9 campaign then llllllllllllllllllll as a bar.

Level 17
Lol Malf, relax xD

Your teams map looks very good and might have a very good chance at becoming first, because of the quality. But still most things you have are found back in FF (not that's a bad thing since FF owned the shit out of every other game I ever played.

Yes I just quoted your post and made it for our with minor changes because I'm lazy, you can't blame me for being lazy and using your layout. You should feel honoured. :p

But man those bars look kick ass, how did you made that! Or who ever made it. xD
I would vote for you, but it's not like mine and kewlthis' map will be bad or anything.
We just keep it at a lower scale, after all it's not our intention of making it so huge that people can't finish it in one game session.

Your map (that's looking awsome) is looking more as a huge RPG then a small dungeon map. :p Oh and unique and original, are not the same, but your map ain't unique or original (nor is mine but idc), there are so many maps with FF stuf added to them. :p

Level 10
Another WIP, I needed JNGP to enable no limits -- walls made of doodads take a fucking toll on the doodad count.

And yes I know the shots are named RotS. I was originally going to name it "Rise of the Lost" but I realized that sounded retarded, but I accidently named the pics RotS instead of RotL... And keeping them that was is good for organizing, not like it matters.

Attachments

• RotSPic6.jpg
    RotSPic6.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 113
Level 2
Airandus said:
but your map ain't unique or original

What I meant was to be unique in the dungeon crawler genre. I haven't seen any dungeon crawlers with a trance system so it'll probably be a first :)

Avator said:
You mind explaining me the difference between unique and original? Seems pretty much the same in my opinion.

I'm sorry but I think I got a word mixup there, what I meant was that I'd rather choose to borrow an idea to make it unique, than not to and keep it plain.

For those wondering about the multibars, they are made by Ammorth. You can find the MultiBars system at wc3campaigns.net. It does require you to import tons of images, since the bar is made up of small images. You should check it out! It's pretty neat :)

Status
Not open for further replies.