• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Cinematic] Cinematic doubts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey, I just uploaded a cinematic, and got a negative feedback. So I got some questions, which I didn't find in FAQ.
1) Do they judge cinematic's terrain by the overall terrain or just the terrain which appears in the actual cinematic? If the second option is the one, I don't see why they called my cinematic's terrain bad.
2) How do you make a beta map? Wouldn't it just be the nomination? Ex: If I publish a 10 min- cinematic named "XXX" it would be rejected; if I publish a 10 min- cinematic named "XXX beta version" it would be accepted?
3) If I regret launching a cinematic and want to delete it, where do I do so? haven't found on my profile neither on the actual cinematic screen.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Level 14
They most certainly don't judge a cinematic based on the terrain which isn't displayed. If you want to see decent terrain, check out my latest releases, specifically the Clown of As'Latur and the Lone Panther. As for the rest, beta would mean that you don't submit the map in the map section but rather in this forum to get feedback before you release it fully.

As for the deletion, if the map was rejected it will get deleted eventually so no worries.

Level 3
They most certainly don't judge a cinematic based on the terrain which isn't displayed. If you want to see decent terrain, check out my latest releases, specifically the Clown of As'Latur and the Lone Panther. As for the rest, beta would mean that you don't submit the map in the map section but rather in this forum to get feedback before you release it fully.

As for the deletion, if the map was rejected it will get deleted eventually so no worries.

Ok, thanks. And how do I submit a map in the foruns?

Also, no offense taken, AlexDragon, but I consider my cinematic pretty good and I actually see no reason for it to be rejected... All I see as faults would be: 1) No matter how I put on "Add X seconds and wait" the cinematic transmissions seem to stay for the same ammount of time on the screen, therefore, you have to be fast on long dialogs (only fault I found out on triggers, yet, one of the reasons for blocking the cinematic was triggers are bad, which, in this case, should be: transmissions are too short)
2) Terrain: no idea how you can improve a mountain? (When my map gets approved, you'll see what I mean)

Other than that, all I can say is that: Maybe they rejected my cinematic because it is 4:30 minutes long and I added to maps... Maybe If I add it to foruns they'll accept it? Whenever I discover how to add maps to the foruns (new hiveworkshop member, you see....)

Level 3
Ok, I'll take a look at what I can do, thanks. As soon as I find out how to post cinematics to foruns, I'll post it here for you guys to take a look (even though it will stay on foruns forever, since it's already finished and doesn't have more than 10 minutes, so I can't post on "maps" section).

[EDIT] I've talked to a moderator and he'll take a look at the map, but he told me to put it on "maps" anyways, so I'll leave it there until he takes a look at my map changes. In case it gets approved, I'll edit this post aswell.

Last edited:
Its because the mods see things differently... just read their comments and you'll be fine... you can't expect your map to be accepted just because you think its good... there were maps and other resources which get rejected even if a lot of people think its good...

You can attach a map onto a post via the attachments part...

Oh looks like you had a thread for your cinematic here ;)
If you don't know how to access your rejected map, I'll post my review here again:
Memory leaks are not destroyed.
The 'make alliances' trigger is useless, you can just change the alliances under 'Scenario-Player Forces'

Anyways:

First off, the cinematic isn't really funny, rather childish humor and some of the dialogue transmissions wait for too long, a message like 'Ok' should only take a second and then the next scene should already start.
And then, the terrain, the horrifying terrain.
There's barely any tile variation in the palace chamber, random doodads like flowers, a fountain, armor racks, which are completely randomly placed all over the room.
Also you should try to avoid blizzard cliffs and use the height tools.
And the black citadel statue doesn't fit the snow environment.

Overall your idea is too simple, the jokes aren't funny, no real combat scenes, a very lacking terrain, also quite random and the triggering is not leak-free.

Rating: 1/5
Check out the links in my moderation comment.

Level 3
Not exactly, I can access it. I wrote an answer two weeks ago, but I didn't have enough time to add BB codes, so I didn't answer. Here is my answer, but I'll still send u to private, as you did to the review:
  • I've followed the leak correction tutorial -kobas- linked me to. I don't really get what's a "leak", to be honest. I had it as an error that can happen sometimes, but now I know it isn't that, after all, I've never found an error whenever I used to watch the map.
  • Humor isn't like "laugh everytime I say something", it's more like an enjoyable cinematic which has little humor scenes (the hot-dog, for example, is given for just a smile, not for a roflmao). The main point is to make your time pleasant.
  • I don't get what's wrong with my scenario -> First upload (-kobas-): Terrain is bad. Has no cool doodads. / Second upload (added some doodas): Horrifying terrain. No cool doodads.
    What's wrong with doodads? I've placed some doodads that could somewhat fit the situation. Ex: Black citadel statue fits the undead theme, and Mal'Ganis is undead. It wasn't there in the first place, but I had nothing to add as doodads so I added something to fill up that space.
    I have no idea what to do anymore, I've gone through all the doodads blizzard has to offer and I could add nothing. Also, I can't add custom doodads because I have nowhere to put credits but in hiveworkshop description, and, as we know, I may upload the map into any other website with no way to put a description.
    Also, if I were to add custom models, I would have added 2 current models I have Which are: Arthas undead horseless and Arthas' undead horse. Don't you think it's a little bit weird he changing from human to undead with the horse under him already? Well, I think so, but I have nowhere to add credits, so I just use what blizzard gave me.
    Therefore, I have no idea what to do with doodads, there's nothing else to do other than custom.
  • Combat scenes? Where can I put a combat scene? Mal'Ganis and Muradin were supposed to die easily and cleanly. It's a story cinematic, not a combat one.
  • I know moderators are trying to help me with this map, but I don't get why make it so complicated: other than the terrain, nothing's bad. Even if the triggers do leak, I believe they would do so on a major cinematic, am I right? Like one 20 minutes+ long. This one's a short cinematic, and, all the times I watched it, it didn't bug.
    Also, I meant no offence, please don't take this the wrong way, This is constructive criticism.
  • The trigger Alliances is in order to preserve the beauty of the beggining screen, where humans are separated from undeads.

If you don't know what a leak is, then read the tutorial again until you realize what a leak is...

As for the terrain, try to look at the terrain board or watch the other cinematics uploaded here...

And what's wrong with putting the credits into the description? If you upload it in another way which has no options to add a description, its your choice... and also, you could add the credits list to the end of your cinematic...

Good maps have minimal leaks to none... And leak is not equal to bug dude... again, reread the tutorial on leaks until you learn what a leak is...

Status
Not open for further replies.