• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Vengeful Comeback

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Vengeful Comeback

Important Info
Gold Mines: 6 (2 starting and 4 expansions)
Tavern
Goblin Merchant
Green Camps: 4
Orange Camps: 4 (+4)
Red Camps: 2
Mercenary Camp: 2
Fountain of Mana: 2
Tileset: Sunken Ruins

Extra Info
This is my third melee map attempt. Hopefully this one is better than my others. Took most of the suggestions from Divided.

Map Preview
228927-albums6424-picture71778.png

Keywords:
Ruins,Melee,Battle,Ruins,Melee,Battle,Ruins,Melee,Battle,Ruins,Melee,Battle
Contents

Vengeful Comeback (Map)

Reviews
09:32, 20th Jul 2013 Orcnet: needs more work.
Level 29
reserved for review
[Reviewer Template made by Legal_Ease]
abgm's review
***Vengeful Comeback***

Map Overview

***A 1 vs 1 melee map that i think needs work***

What I liked:

1)Starting locations
2)The general design(only the design)
3) Many creeps

What could be improved:

1)Enviroment
2)Terrain
3)Only a tavern and a market: more neutral buildings such markets and fountains, goblin laboratories and mercenary camps. Also the market you put is more near to player 2 blue
I used a ruler Blue player is at 3 cm and red player at 4 cm, is not bad for the game play but it ruins you the simetry.

Rating and Final Thoughts:

***pending*** ***The general design is good, but needs a lot of work in the terraining and enviroment,to much flat water, much empty areas, i have a proverb: a bad enviroment can kill all the map, the good thing is you have space to work, i sugest you to look others maps with this tile set to get ideas***

here is a screen with some sugestions, to work, they are all sugestion, nothing mandatory.

Screeshots bbcodes Generator By Vengeancekael

Screenshots
[tr]
rp7i.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 30
Hey, there another map from you. Definetely looks better than your first rejected one but still I do think its still not approvable or maybe if approvable, lowest rating is wht you'll get. Reasons:

-Map's terrain is quite fine but tile mixing is a must or a step to make good terrain and trees in expansion gold mines and mines lacks. Add more trees.
-While I love the idea of the full water in map still it lacks once gain proper tile mixing and at least try to add some doodads that gives decors to it.

So most of all, the melee has probems mostly in terrain and some in the aspects itself. Hope you can still update this because some mods just really have some high standrads in reviewing maps. Good luck there!

Level 6
I updated the map. Like you said, I have added more tile variations, more height variations, mercenary camps, fountains of mana and more creep camps. (Check the Map Preview screenshot, because the minimap preview image is broken I guess.)

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
abgm, barrens is not really that hard. True, you do not have that much environmental stuff but you have lots of props and cool things.

As sunken has huge amount of environmental stuff and props it gets messy and too filled easily. And it must be passive, not too rare to have some stuff lying around.

PS: abgm did you check my updated map?

Level 11
Dungeon is the hardest to terrain (well) for melee simply because there is only one buildable tile, the rest is unbuildable.

Dungeon Doodads... there really aren't a whole lot you can work with from an environment perspective. There's a few props but other than that it's a very bland tool set to work with.

As for this map, the new overview looks much better; for the terrain part, I recommend blending in the grass with the sand by using grassy dirt around the edges of the grass. From an environment perspective this will look better than grass emitting out of nowhere on dirt.

*Edit*

After opening the map, I was able to get a more detailed look.

Suggestions
-You should use regular trees with just a few canopy trees. Mix in canopy trees with the regular trees as opposed to only canopy trees.
-Use more rocks, there are very few doodads in the map, more rocks (especially around the land in the center of the map) won't hurt pathing.
-Shrubs, flowers, water doodads, neutral animals, etc; These will make the map seem alive.
-Grass tiles should not be in the water; I would actually say making more of the brick tiles in the water would look good; and give it a recently surfaced temple feel.
-Try using fog/ weather effects to see if it looks better.
-Add some pools of deep water in places that aren't being used and are empty then place some coral or rocks around the edges of the deep water.

Level 32
^ Off-Topic guys...

I didn't have much time (Gotta sleep, its 1:30 in the morning), the map is okay. Terrain is below average, but it is actually fun since there aren't any paths strict ways to your enemy. That is a nice change, most maps have that kind of lay out.

The starting location, I have to disagree with abgm, I didn't like them. They look odd and you can tower up the entrances. The temples, don't really look very ancient like, because of their shape. Raise tools are used okay-ish, but you should smoothen them a little bit.

My expansions were destroyed easily - I am not the best melee player, but: the expansion areas are very open. Many blizzard maps have enclosed expansions so the user can defend one.

Trees are not placed right, canopy trees are not meant to be bunched together. It reminds me of roadtrips when I am in the back of the car.

The map is, okay. But, I vote for pending (but I this can be approved :p). Keep working :thumbs_up:

One thing, Hydras don't usually defend little mercenary camps.

+Rep to OP for effort.

Last edited:
Level 30
Map layout as well on terrain basics is too symmetric and widely poor, though the idea of making height levels is a good one, you should somehow adjust more with the beautification of a island-base temple world, same goes to game-wise, the total lumber resources is quite few, the whole map will be a consumption win for NE players.

In total, do please work more on melee statistics as well on focus with a pleasant terrain.