• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Triggering FAQ

Level 5
I'm sitting here spending my time writing this to hopefully save some of my time in the future. I have seen countless posts from a rather obnoxious "OMG How do i do this?!1", to a polite "Triggering question, please help me :)". However, weather obnoxious or polite, a lot of the content and questions are the same; asking for simple triggering questions that can be easily found in help tutorials.

There is nothing wrong with these posts, it's how people learn. However, after seeing a lot of these, although willing to help, I grow tired of seeing the smae questions. So- I have compiled a list of helpful links and tutorials that should help solve some of the questions, and save some time for everyone. I'll give each article a rating out of 10 stars. 10 is the best, 1 is the worst.

Basic Triggering Help geared towards newer mappers, this section contains a lot of the basics.

Basic Triggering Tutorial This trigger tutorial is nice for absolute beginniners, it really helps getting through the hardest part of World editor, the very beginning. ********* (9)

Map Designing Guide This is a decent write-up on how to make a generic map step-by-step. It won't help on specific genres of maps, but includes a lot of good tips on how to create a good map from the start. Some of the points are common sense, but there are a few good points included. ****** (6)

Complete Triggering Guide Write-up The author of this write-up included almost (if not all) triggers, and a breif description of how they work. Although the descriptions aren't much more than what world editor gives you, some of the descriptions are very helpful. It also describes the various functions, and other really useful stuff. **********(10)

Simple Camera/Cutscene Tutorial This tutorial is short, and does not include everything about cutscenes and cameras, but it helps break the ice when learning how to use these two triggers. To understand Actions, Conditions, and events (which are a big part of this tutorial), I recommend reading the "Basic Triggering Help" ******* (7)

Basics of Variables This tutorial isn't great, but it still helps with executing variables. If you are somewhat familiar with World editor (know actions, conidtions, events, and can create simple triggers on your own) this should help take your map-making a step further. *****(5)

Color System Tutorial This tutorial requires no World Editor knowledge, but will show you how to use the color system that Warcraft uses. At the end it also includes a handy color generator incase you still don't understand how the colorings work. *********(9)

Advanced Help This is for users that are more comfortable with world editor and need in-depth help.

Using the Game Cache to store heroes This tutorial requires a firm understanding of world editor (you must be able to make triggers easily and have some knowledge with variables and other functions of world editor). It's relativly easy to follow, and has an excellent explaination of how to use the Game Cache to store heroes. ********** (10)

Advanced Camera Triggering Tutorial This is an excellent tutorial, and does a great job answering a lot of questions about Camera Triggering. ********** (10)

Array Variables Triggering Tutorial This tutorial does not require mastery of World Editor to comprehend, but you must have a solid understanding of variables (and how to use them). I don't really like the analogy at the beginning, but besides that its very good. ********* (9)

A guide on making campaigns
This guide doesn't really give much information on how to make campaigns, but it does have a few good tips here and there. *******(7)

In-depth Memory Leak Tutorial This tutorial is extremly well written, and is very easy to understand. You should have a decent ammount of knowledge about world editor and how it works if you want to get the most out of this. **********(10)

Specific Tutorials (for the visual learner :)) These contain basic and advanced level tutorials, and will not be rated. If they appear here they are presumed to be effective.

A basic guide to combining Items This nifty tutorial Made by VampireKB shows various ways on how to combine items. A great and easy to comprehend tutorial.

A comprehensive guide to: TD Unit Pathing, Using the Game Cache, and a few other useful RPG Goddies
Another map created by VampireKB, this combines a few of his tutorials into a pretty straight-forward tutorial. To use it to your full extent, you will want to be familiar with Events, Actions, and Conditions, along with using variables and reigons.

A Hero Saving Save/Load Code This is Emergency's latest Save/Load Code, EZ Save/Load Code 3, which has the ability to save 3 heroes, their abilities and level, and 35 items. Multiplayer Compatable. Very useful. You should be very comfortable with variables and variable arrays, along with strings to understand this.

An Integer saving Save/Load Code This code was created by me, and saves 2 integers between 0-9999. It also comes with the code to save only 1 integer. It is recommended that you understand variables, and variable arrays, along with a lot of string commands to understand this. Multiplayer Compatable.

FAQ

I recommend going Here (********* 10) This is a faq in itself and has a lot of great questions and answers.

That about wraps it up for now. In the future I will most likely add more as I find good tutorials. Enjoy!

Level 10
This isn;t gonna help pplz much bcuz it will eventually just get lost in the abyss of the old topics once this leaves the first page no one will be going thru the old topics and i doubt the mod's will make this a sticky...but i guess it mte help pplz for a week or 2

Level 5
Well, it probably wont even stay up for a week or two, I'll be lucky it it stays up for a week. However, A lot of peopel will see it, and it will still exist. All I would have to do is paste the URL if anyone asked one of these questions. I do think it would be benificial for some to have this stickied, atleast for a couple of weeks. It's up to the mods though.

Level 9
http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/fading.shtml

It's the first site from where i learn how to make loading screens and minimap custom icons...

about triggers:
if somebody still wanna to know how to make a table of items for each unit i make something like this:

1) i take a little area and make there a lot of double blocking doodads and a trigger that if somebody blink there he will be or killed or moved to the center of a map

2)make several smaller areas there and make names such as : table1 table 2 table x=x+1 ...

3) in each little area create items that you want to be in a table of random dropping items

4) make a randomizer... my randomizer for know
every 0.1 sec
set randomiser := random integer 0-1000

5) make a trigger like this
Unit - A unit Dies

(Owner of (Dying unit)) Equal to Neutral Victim

If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
If - Conditions
And - All (Conditions) are true
Conditions
(Level of (Dying unit)) Less than or equal to 2
Or - Any (Conditions) are true
Conditions
Conditions
itemRANDOMIZER Greater than or equal to 50
itemRANDOMIZER Less than or equal to 60
Conditions
itemRANDOMIZER Greater than or equal to 500
itemRANDOMIZER Less than or equal to 600
Then - Actions
Item - Create (Item-type of (Random item in random item LVL1 <gen>)) at (Position of (Dying unit))
Else - Actions

try also to give here links to all tutorials from this site , i'll PM you with the links my maps...

Level 5
Yes, there are a lot of horrible maps submitted there, but a good portion of their tutorials are effective. I read through all the ones I posted to make sure they all had atleast some decent tutorial value. Now that it's stickied though, I'll have to be sure to keep up with it. I'll go get a few more to put here.

Level 9
Level 4
Please can a moderator sticky this topic? It is very useful and I am going to look at alot of these tutorials myself, to pick up and quik tricks. The tutorial i really desire myself though is one witch tells of time saving stuff like

control and pg up and down moves hight of doodad

control and right click hold moves camera around great for making camera objects.

Use a summy unit with model file of a special effect to create fast special effects.

I like them sorta little things, and a full list of them from someone would be great help.