• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Colored lines

Level 8
The attached map demos how to draw colored lines by abusing the splats\lightningdata.slk. It is filled with rows like [c0, textures, white.blp, 1, 1, 255, 0, 0, 255, 0, 0, 0, 0] for each color and line width combination. The splats\lightningdata.slk in the map uses these 216 colors, 5 different line widths, for a total of 1080 rows. The drawing then is just calling AddLightningEx with the appropriate lightning data name (c0 .. c1079).

lightnings seem to use some strange blending mode for their drawing. Colors like F00 (same as FF0000(red)) are drawn with slight transparency, the color 900 is more transparent, 300 even more, and 000 (black) is fully invisible. So the available colors are less than 216.

Attachments

• colored_lines.w3x
    318.7 KB · Views: 0
  • colored_lines.png
    colored_lines.png
    262.2 KB · Views: 13
Level 39
Hahahaha that is astute and hilarious! I really want to add what you wrote to my signature quote, but without the context it really loses something. :'(

The forced (slight) transparency always messing visually with lines that intersect at a vertex or cross each other is, in my opinion, a true shame. This was almost perfect... until that messed it up.