• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Black Steel Building Package

This bundle is marked as pending. It has not been reviewed by a staff member yet.
Based on: Aviary (Gryphon) and Derivatives,Farm (Human) and Derivatives,Barracks (Human) and Derivatives,Arcane Vault and Derivatives,Blacksmith and Derivatives,Workshop and Derivatives,Lumber Mill and Derivatives,Town Hall, Keep, Castle, and Derivatives by Ujimasa Hojo。Based on: ArcaneSanctum,Highaltar by SinisterX。At the same time, it also provides architectural models for the protagonists in Shar Dundred's The Legends of Arkain Series.I think this building package is definitely useful and provides a suitable model for making maps for various ethnic battles.Update, change all the bases of the barracks and altars to black.
Contents

Black Steel Building Package (Model)

BlackSteel Barracks (Model)

BlackSteel Barracks (Model)

BlackSteelAltar (Model)

BlackSteelArcaneSanctum (Model)

BlackSteelArcaneVault (Model)

BlackSteelBlacksmith (Model)

BlackSteelFarm (Model)

BlackSteelGryphonAviary (Model)

BlackSteelLumberMill (Model)

BlackSteelWorkshop (Model)

Reviews
ILH
ILH
Please optimize the model by fixing the issues detected by HIVE's Sanity Checker.

Nyctaeus

Hosted Project: W3E
Level 18
I guess this represents the threshold when usage of Infernal Machine texture exceeds it's possible applications. I get the idea of making building set to fit all the units using the same texture. Very desired one.

...but I'm sorry to say, that this simply isn't working. Despite possibly long hours of rewrapping from your side, the effect isn't really believable. Primary shapes are disappearing under the maze of noisy, yellow lines. Content of the texture itself is not working with what geometry is trying to tell. Texture shapes are too small to create believable sense of scale, and if I didn't know these models, I'd have a hard time to tell what I actually see.

I don't think that you've done anything really wrong here. I see you tried to fit geometry to the texture as best as you can. Unfortunaty I think this is one of the cases, when designer want to marry two things that don't want this marriage at all. It's worth noting that some of them looks much better then the others, like Arcane Sanctum or Barracks.
Looks like reskin for kids
This is completely supbar, infantile comment that cannot be even considered feedback. The post is devoid of any constructive criticism, respect for the author of this package, and the only thing you do here, my friend, is adding toxicity to possible discussion. I advise to reconsider your stance. This man put solid hours of work into this. If you don't like the result, at least don't pollute comment section with negative nonsense.

I guess this represents the threshold when usage of Infernal Machine texture exceeds it's possible applications. I get the idea of making building set to fit all the units using the same texture. Very desired one.

...but I'm sorry to say, that this simply isn't working. Despite possibly long hours of rewrapping from your side, the effect isn't really believable. Primary shapes are disappearing under the maze of noisy, yellow lines. Content of the texture itself is not working with what geometry is trying to tell. Texture shapes are too small to create believable sense of scale, and if I didn't know these models, I'd have a hard time to tell what I actually see.

I don't think that you've done anything really wrong here. I see you tried to fit geometry to the texture as best as you can. Unfortunaty I think this is one of the cases, when designer want to marry two things that don't want this marriage at all. It's worth noting that some of them looks much better then the others, like Arcane Sanctum or Barracks.

This is completely supbar, infantile comment that cannot be even considered feedback. The post is devoid of any constructive criticism, respect for the author of this package, and the only thing you do here, my friend, is adding toxicity to possible discussion. I advise to reconsider your stance. This man put solid hours of work into this. If you don't like the result, at least don't pollute comment section with negative nonsense.
Thank you very much for your support and understanding.

Level 35
I might be in the minority, but I kind of dig some of these effects. I wouldn't use a full set like this in general since, for me, I've come to appreciate getting buildings from a variety of different packs since in most techtrees you wouldn't see all structures using the same texture. But packs like this are very useful, because it gives authors options for which structures they like best to pick and choose from. It creates options, and in my experience the more options there are, the better.

I hope we get to see more work from you in future :)

Level 27
I got conflicted feelings, i like the idea and the effort, but the skin hit it's limits on the boxy buildings, on the rounder and cylindrical parts it looks higher quality for some weird reason.

So unless there is change to use only cylindrical type of buildings for the pack, the other option could be getting someone with 2d experience to create a custom skin with walls, base, doors, stairs and roof parts on the same style as the infernal machine, or recolor a building so you get a complementary stone set.

good work
Thank you very much for your recognition.
It even looks very beautiful:)
Me too.
I might be in the minority, but I kind of dig some of these effects. I wouldn't use a full set like this in general since, for me, I've come to appreciate getting buildings from a variety of different packs since in most techtrees you wouldn't see all structures using the same texture. But packs like this are very useful, because it gives authors options for which structures they like best to pick and choose from. It creates options, and in my experience the more options there are, the better.

I hope we get to see more work from you in future :)
Next time, if I have free time, I will see if I can help those in need.
I got conflicted feelings, i like the idea and the effort, but the skin hit it's limits on the boxy buildings, on the rounder and cylindrical parts it looks higher quality for some weird reason.

So unless there is change to use only cylindrical type of buildings for the pack, the other option could be getting someone with 2d experience to create a custom skin with walls, base, doors, stairs and roof parts on the same style as the infernal machine, or recolor a building so you get a complementary stone set.
You're right, this Infernal Cannon skin is very suitable for those stone, puppet, architectural, and mechanical models. Although there are only 3 colors in terms of color, it has various shapes of images, so you don't have to worry about UV mapping being limited by shape.
Thank you very much.

Level 20
These models seem a bit hit or miss. The town hall/dungeon/castle seems quite dark. Its foundations almost make me think of a subterranean building for dark elves and the like, while others like the Sanctum almost seem holy or sacred. While the synergy can be a bit lacking, I could imagine either of them being used.

The Vault, sanctum and altar look really good ! I could definitely see a subfaction using these three.

The one thing I learned looking for models, is that any model, no matter how niche, ends up being what at least one person was searching for, so good work :thumbs_up:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Holy moly, these looks lovely. But I would maybe work more with UV Mapping.
Definitely. IMO, there should be some consistency especially in what the foundation is concerned. They should all be black methinks.

Compare
to (gray)
and to (yellow)

The first type looks best for me and it's the most prevalent one among the models.
Just take some more time to get them right. Also make sure not to have parts of the texture stretched out too much on some model parts as it will look ugly. Try having the same decent quality over all model parts.

Level 26
I very like the Castle version here. It's not the nicest, but sure looks like beast. These type of main buildings with functional towers are seriously beasts. I was seen variations of the Fel Orc Fortress with towers too, but that buildings sadly is not online in Hive - restricted by the creator -. I just wanted to say that it's pretty rare to see key main buildings with functional towers. Hope we can see it not only in Cannon Towers, but with other types too. I think it's a pretty cool concept, and can be used as a fortification on the base perimeter. (It's an expensive fortification, may worth the investment in gameplay wise.) Hope the towers are not shooting just one cannon ball per shot, but all of them shooting one by one.

These models seem a bit hit or miss. The town hall/dungeon/castle seems quite dark. Its foundations almost make me think of a subterranean building for dark elves and the like, while others like the Sanctum almost seem holy or sacred. While the synergy can be a bit lacking, I could imagine either of them being used.

The Vault, sanctum and altar look really good ! I could definitely see a subfaction using these three.

The one thing I learned looking for models, is that any model, no matter how niche, ends up being what at least one person was searching for, so good work :thumbs_up:
Thank you very much for your praise.
Holy moly, these looks lovely. But I would maybe work more with UV Mapping.
Your UV mapping is done very well.
Definitely. IMO, there should be some consistency especially in what the foundation is concerned. They should all be black methinks.

Compare
to (gray)
and to (yellow)

The first type looks best for me and it's the most prevalent one among the models.
Just take some more time to get them right. Also make sure not to have parts of the texture stretched out too much on some model parts as it will look ugly. Try having the same decent quality over all model parts.
Do you want the base of this barracks and altar to be of the same black quality?I think the base of the altar is okay, it needs to be connected to the yellow part above. As for the base of the barracks, I can replace it again.
I very like the Castle version here. It's not the nicest, but sure looks like beast. These type of main buildings with functional towers are seriously beasts. I was seen variations of the Fel Orc Fortress with towers too, but that buildings sadly is not online in Hive - restricted by the creator -. I just wanted to say that it's pretty rare to see key main buildings with functional towers. Hope we can see it not only in Cannon Towers, but with other types too. I think it's a pretty cool concept, and can be used as a fortification on the base perimeter. (It's an expensive fortification, may worth the investment in gameplay wise.) Hope the towers are not shooting just one cannon ball per shot, but all of them shooting one by one.
I originally intended to use a non defensive base. But after I finish, I always feel like something is missing. So, there was a turret version of the base.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Do you want the base of this barracks and altar to be of the same black quality?I think the base of the altar is okay, it needs to be connected to the yellow part above. As for the base of the barracks, I can replace it again.
Yeah, colour consistency matters too IMO but also the texture not to look blurry.

Level 27
In general beyond the shield texture not working as a roof, maybe this version of the skin could work, There was a mod porting the SC2 "War 3" models into classic wc3 before reforged "War 3 Rebirth". The user Your Arthas worked on that project, if this infernal machine skin was ported you could ask for permission to use this, at least it got parts that could be used as a walls and a base.

Attachments

• HDHMachine.png
    HDHMachine.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
In general beyond the shield texture not working as a roof, maybe this version of the skin could work, There was a mod porting the SC2 "War 3" models into classic wc3 before reforged "War 3 Rebirth". The user Your Arthas worked on that project, if this infernal machine skin was ported you could ask for permission to use this, at least it got parts that could be used as a walls and a base.
Good idea. If this skin is used for walls and bases, it may look very nice.

Yeah, colour consistency matters too IMO but also the texture not to look blurry.
The barracks are okay, this is the revised picture. Just the three corners in front of the altar base are yellow. In order to make it look more harmonious, I can only keep the yellow one about the obelisk base in front of me. I can only change it to this. What do you think of this?
Snipaste_2024-02-22_23-15-45.png
Snipaste_2024-02-22_23-15-58.png
Snipaste_2024-02-22_23-06-27.png
Snipaste_2024-02-22_23-10-20.png
Snipaste_2024-02-22_23-15-24.png
Snipaste_2024-02-22_23-17-49.png

ILH

ILH

Model Reviewer
Level 26
I used this MDLX Optimizer to optimize the model. Could you please take a look? Is this optimization acceptable?
Justttt a few steps left. I'd open them up in Magos or RMS to Recalculate the extents (while paying attention to the portrait plane), put them to Sanity Checker again and remove the few unused frames manually. If you can't access the mdx in Magos you only need to convert them to mdl first.

Level 3
Firstly, you need to install version 1.30 of War3 on another computer and test it to determine if there is a version issue., Moreover, your screenshot seems to have been tested in a map editor. Is your own map editor stuck?
I tested it on the same computer but with version 1.27. The result is the same and yes it is my own map editor stuck. In what version were these models made?

I tested it on the same computer but with version 1.27. The result is the same and yes it is my own map editor stuck. In what version were these models made?
Sorry, I apologize for the previous incident. Alright, I have re uploaded the original version, and you can download it with confidence this time. My previous model package was modified using MDLX Optimizer on the webpage, and the modified model was not carefully checked. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Last edited: