• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Atmosphere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerastes

C

Cerastes

A few terrains that I have done over the past few months.

Attachments

• Fiya.JPG
    Fiya.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 514
  • Dessert.JPG
    Dessert.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 480
  • Diseased Dark Tower.JPG
    Diseased Dark Tower.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 454
  • WetlandsTropical.JPG
    WetlandsTropical.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 469
  • WetlandsTundra.JPG
    WetlandsTundra.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 407
  • Gobbo Lab Greened.JPG
    Gobbo Lab Greened.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 457
  • WetlandsTemperate.JPG
    WetlandsTemperate.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 366
  • 'Drumrolls' Castle Gates.JPG
    'Drumrolls' Castle Gates.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 377
  • CloudLab.JPG
    CloudLab.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 473
  • Meadow.JPG
    Meadow.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 366
  • The Dark Tower.JPG
    The Dark Tower.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 375
  • Arcane Metropolis.JPG
    Arcane Metropolis.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 387
  • DeepSwamp1.jpg
    DeepSwamp1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 340
  • DeepSwamp2.jpg
    DeepSwamp2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 375
  • Undersea2.JPG
    Undersea2.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 359
  • WT17 The Upper Temple.jpg
    WT17 The Upper Temple.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 390
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 3
Pretty good, the first two and the indoor one are a bit below the quality level ofthe others, but still good work.

-*meow*

I agree. The second sort of bland and not many DooDads are in there. But I do like the rest of them, especially the indoor one. :grin:

Level 5
Actually, there is no much terraining, but modelling, but it still looks cool.
The second one could use some wind effect and the tundra needs some more plants, imho

Level 36
Lol! It's not supposed to mean anything in that sense. What I meant by the 'Archian Policy' is how you enocurage users to give rep to other users when they do something you like, make a meaningful post, or share something cool, like in this case. So since the last one was the case here, I forgot to add rep earlier, so I did so now. No offense meant :p

Cerastes

C

Cerastes

nice nice!

you Killer_Mushroom?

Yes

Actually, there is no much terraining, but modelling, but it still looks cool.

Incorporating models (imported or not) onto the underlying terrain is fundamentally terraining. An unexperienced terrainer can use custom models, but it can still look terrible.

Level 5
You have my big respect if you modelled all that stuff.
If you did not, there is not a lot of your work. In other words: 90% modelling, 10% terraining.

And an even more skilled terrainer can make a terrain without importing. Yes, I know, it would lose some eye-candiness, but the overview will be good. Just imagine: time is going backwards, and now we once again do maps for RoC, which means there is no import editor.

Last edited:

Cerastes

C

Cerastes

@Archworm: If you use primarily Blizzard doodads, then Blizzard has done most of the work, not you.

Level 6
You have my big respect if you modelled all that stuff.
If you did not, there is not a lot of your work. In other words: 90% modelling, 10% terraining.

Yes, its actually his work (teh' terrain). I swear making those scenes isnt that easy. Models are made for people to use them, so i see no problem if he uses custom models, in fact, all the recognized cinematics-landscaping terrainers use plenty of custom models, effect, textures, just look at some terraines made by ghenjis, Gitlich, 2P, KrewL RaiN, etc, etc.
I use custom models too, and u can be sure all of we think blizzard trees suck really bad.

About the 90% modelling, ur right, for example, he used plenty of Nasrudin's models, in the other thread started by ghenjis, even in the screens u can see clearly rooms almost entirely made by Nas' Indoors pack.
Now, Nasrudin is an excellent & great modeller/skinner, but these guys (terrainers) can use those models in terrain screens or cinematics and have something like... 500% better eye-candy results?

And an even more skilled terrainer can make a terrain without importing. Yes, I know, it would lose some eye-candiness, but the overview will be good. Just imagine: time is going backwards, and now we once again do maps for RoC, which means there is no import editor.

Why do u want to use blizzard models, knowing there are great models that can make ur screen look even better than using blizzard's ones? These screens are clearly from cinematics / only eye-cany landscapes, they arent going to be used in multiplayer maps, bnet or not.

@Archworm: If you use primarily Blizzard doodads, then Blizzard has done most of the work, not you.

That doesnt make sense, of course u will use blizzard's models, since its a blizzard game.
Anyway, the answer its above - custom models -.

-------

Now plz stop it, these are two different ways of terraining, with / without importing.

Last edited:
This is how you should judge: Models can improve quality of terrain/cinni (good models) if any terrainer use it. BUT look at the scale down... if you are good terrainer you will have 3 points better result anyway... same for models... its better to find good models or use integrated ones than to import some that doesnt even fit. Now its art to find or crate good models that will fit! if you dont know what models you should import, dont even try to do so, because: you already got a point down!

Good terrainer+good modells=5
Good terrainer+blizz models=4
Good terrainer+bad models=3
Bad terrainer+good models=2
Bad terrainer+blizz models=1
Bad terrainer+bad models=0

Level 5
Nope, I'm just bothered because there's a teraining contest at xgm.ru, which rules say "NO importing". And now I want to know, which famous terrainers can follow this rule.

Cerastes

C

Cerastes

If you're curious, why don't you submit a challenge here, following the same rules?

Level 10
Nope, I'm just bothered because there's a teraining contest at xgm.ru, which rules say "NO importing". And now I want to know, which famous terrainers can follow this rule.

They can follow the rule, it's not that hard. . .you'll notice though that those pics weren't made for that particular contest so naturally they didn't mind importing stuff. . .

HernanG summed it up pretty much though - I am in total agreement with him. If you think he(Cerastes) didn't do a good job just because he used custom models than lets see you do better. Just because he used custom imports does not make the terrain worse - in fact, I would argue, that it only enhances the terrain. I can guarantee you that what he did took a lot longer than it looks.

90% Modeling?
10% Terraining?

No.

My score would be more along the realms of this:

20% Modeling
80% Terraining

Good work Cerastes I look forward to seeing more from you in the future.

-Deck

Level 36
I don't think that importing or just using Blizzard doodads makes it any easier. Look, think of it this way. A map could have all of the custom skins, and look great bgut still suck ass. It's the same way with terraining. Sure you have all of these doodads, but the question is how can I use them in a creative way? That's the hardest part to making terrain look good, and I think you did a great job at it. You used your imagination and creativity to create all of these different atmospheres, eac with their own you uinque 'feel' to them. I'd like to see any of the whiners do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.