• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Snowy place... areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
So, I haven't posted anything new in awhile.
Here are a few terrains from maps that I'm working on.
Comments and criticisms welcome.

Attachments

• YoForest.png
    YoForest.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 221
  • IcePlaceUpdate.png
    IcePlaceUpdate.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 361
  • SnowPlaceUpdate.png
    SnowPlaceUpdate.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 202
  • FORESTNIZZLE.png
    FORESTNIZZLE.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 157
Last edited:
-Well could you please zoom in a little bit on the first picture so that you don't see the end of the world?

-Prepare for a ton of people telling you to never use the blizzard trees, I honestly don't care but just warning you ahead of time

-I would say that you need more small environmental doodads like shrubs and grass, or snowy rocks and ice in the maps.

-I don't think the random vines sprouting up in the snow picture really fit with the theme.

-For burning hay carts in the one picture, they seem very undamaged.

They're really not that bad, they seem playable so I'm guessing these are for a game and not just terrain art, but they still need some work.

Level 36
The crystals in the first and second picture stands out FAR too much, I would either tint them or remove them all together, and yes, blizzard trees doesnt do your else-wise good snow terrain any justice. For the second one, I believe I've commented on that in some other thread, looks good.

Level 9
1] Screw cinematic fires, they are ugly. Go to buffs in models section, selection humans building damage fire, they are more adequate. Maybe even use Immolation Damage from Pit Lord.

2] Learn to scale trees randomly in X-Y and Z axis independently! There's two friggin buttons for that, and it makes it look so much better.

3] I think that grass is fine, but import is not required - go to River Rushes, select biggest model, colour it suitably. I myself make a few objects of different sizes (small-medium-large) and a second set of slightly different colour (like red and reddish orange).

4] Save the pics as .jpg file. If you do your printscreen through paint - screw paint, either find Photoshop (we all know where and how) or GIMP (that one's free and is said to be as powerful and versatile)

Level 17
1] Screw cinematic fires, they are ugly. Go to buffs in models section, selection humans building damage fire, they are more adequate. Maybe even use Immolation Damage from Pit Lord.

2] Learn to scale trees randomly in X-Y and Z axis independently! There's two friggin buttons for that, and it makes it look so much better.

3] I think that grass is fine, but import is not required - go to River Rushes, select biggest model, colour it suitably. I myself make a few objects of different sizes (small-medium-large) and a second set of slightly different colour (like red and reddish orange).

4] Save the pics as .jpg file. If you do your printscreen through paint - screw paint, either find Photoshop (we all know where and how) or GIMP (that one's free and is said to be as powerful and versatile)

1)Hmmm, maybe. I'm thinking I'll just take the fire out altogether.

2)Too friggin lazy. I'm not going to go through every tree on the map to get it to look just right to please... no one. No one is going to give a shit because they are going to be too busy playing the map.

3) Yeah... no. River rushes rank up there with blizzard cliffs and trees.

4) Also, no. PNG is better quality. Internet connections don't get much slower than mine, and I don't have a problem with the time it takes them to load. Patience is a virtue. And telling someone not to use paint is like telling a snowman not to get warm by the fire. (Winter metaphor, tis the season.) I've been using the GIMP for about as long as I've been terraining. And besides, there's actually nothing wrong with using MSP to simply crop an image, any image manipulation program will work. There are countless others beyond the two best-known ones you mentioned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.