• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Terrain Challenge - Ashenvale - Poll

Vote for the Winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Today, 16th May, I announce that the Ashenvale Tileset of the Terraining Challenge has come to an end. I am a bit disappointed that only 30 members joined the contest, and not all of them submited terrains.

So here are the screenshots submited by our users in alphabetic order. I may post all images in a moment, just need to arrange some things.
To those who are not listed below the following quote, please post here and link to your post in the Terraining Challenge topic, and you will be added.

List of Participants in Terraining Challenge (30)
  • Bob27
  • BoneBreaker
  • Chaos
  • Craka_J
  • Dalaran_Guard
  • Deckboy
  • demonsofdante
  • Doompenguin
  • Eleandor
  • EviL_BuddhA
  • Faranheit
  • FGRaptor
  • Ham Ham
  • HappyTauren
  • Heero
  • Herio-san
  • iristle
  • Jaakko
  • Killer_Mushroom
  • KingBob
  • Mega_Abee
  • Nbah
  • Prince Panda
  • Punisher_x
  • PurgeandFire111
  • Ratherion
  • Sacrimo
  • The_wand_mirror (Participing only in the Barrens tileset)
  • Valcrist
  • VampireHeart
Bob27
4 WIPs. View his post here.

BoneBreaker (No image presented)
Chaos (No image presented)
Craka_J (No image presented)

Dalaran_Guard
3 images. View his post here.

Deckboy (No screenshot presented)

demonsofdante
1 image. View his post here.

Doompenguin
2 images. View his post here.

Eleandor
11 images. View his post here.

EviL_BuddhA (No screenshot presented)
Faranheit (No screenshot presented)

FGRaptor

Ham Ham

HappyTauren
1 WIP. View his post here.

Heero (No time to present image)

Herio-San

iristle (No image presented)

Jaakko
1 image:
1ashenvalewip3hp8.jpg

View his post here.

Killer_Mushroom
7 images. View his post here.

KingBob
1 image:
attachment.php

View his post here.

Mega_Abee (No image presented)

Nbah
5 images. View his post here.

Prince Panda (No image presented)
Punisher_x (No image presented)
PurgeandFire111 (No image presented)

Ratherion

Sacrimo (No image presented)

Valcrist

VampireHeart (No image presented)

Last edited:
Level 19
Oops, sorry, you are right. I swear it wasn't leading to your post when I clicked it... how strange.
It was working for me before when I clicked it. I have seen same kind of link problems with one of my post where I listed a bunch of links and have no idea why it happens.

I'm really hoping this competition will get many votes. I will feel a bit bad if I don't get at least one vote. Good luck to all.

Demonsofdante's has the loveliest atmosphere and best scenery. Everything blends well together, and nothing seems to be out of place.

Kind of true, but demon's has a big cliff or rock thing sticking out and they are so blunt and pixelly. The shrubs and stuff are also kind of floating from what I see... But it is still simply beautiful. Gj! :smile:

Level 8
Kind of true, but demon's has a big cliff or rock thing sticking out and they are so blunt and pixelly. The shrubs and stuff are also kind of floating from what I see... But it is still simply beautiful. Gj! :smile:

There arent any floating shrubs, it just the steep angle of the rock.
I should have submitted 2 screenshots honestly :(

Level 10
I, for one am quite happy with the turnout. I think it was quite amazing and had a lot of fun looking at all of the terrains.

@Rui: my condolences, I got a butt load of homework due to finals etc. . .but I should be in for the barrens one.

Congrats to everyone! I am very impressed! I will be awarding some rep later too!

-Deck

Level 8
Yah yah, nobody clarified the rules and i figured this would be common practice by those submitting. And honestly, winning would be cool, not gonna bs about that. I'll ask Rui not to count it then when tallying things up if that puts everything cool with the rest of y'all

@Herio- Well you should definetly finish it, if not for the contest, then just to finish it, i'd love to see how it turns out. (By the way i'm so happy my fortress got deleted, it looked too much like yours)

EDIT: By the way, when does the poll close?

Level 8
Firstly, welcome to the Hive Workshop. You may want to introduce yourself in the off-topic forums and let people know a little bit about yourself...

In response to your question, this is an ongoing competition that changes theme monthly. We have just completed Ashenvale and the next terrain is Barrens. Check out the link in my signature to get to the main thread...

Level 8
Oh, after 1 houer of judging i think all the contestors have done a magnificent job, my 3 favorites is Elandor, Herio-san and Nbah. they have shown of some extrordinary cool ideas and i really like the tempel thing herio-san have created, the way the water floats on the marbel and continues down hitting all that stuff. Nice done herio=) you got my vote=)

Level 19
Guess I need to be a lot better in the next contests. I still like my screen, but maybe some of those yes were a bit more original. I didn't think my screen would flop so badly. Oh it hurts my eyes looking at the poll. ^^

Level 3
I voted for Ham Ham, i just liked the way he used plants and other doodads, also those NE houses look very nice.

Level 21
I'm surprised how Eleandor has received 1 vote only. His terrain was great. If not for demonofdante's, I would have voted for his.

To be honest, I indeed feel slightly dissappointed :-/
Not that I'm into this contest for the score/rewards, but is the final outcome (in the original thread it was said that there would be ratings for originality, ground texturing, etc.) decided by the votes or do the votes only decide who the actual Ashenvale master is?

Level 8
Those are things people should take into consideration, but who knows how many actually do

You defiently should have recieved more votes Eleandor

Level 8
Kaitech[SanD];264205 said:
People who vote themselves should get -1 vote taken off and a conseqence, like -1 rep or something. Not mentioning any names Ham Ham or DemonsofDante!

Deal with it. Maybe we do think ours is the best, maybe we dont. Maybe we want to win, maybe we're just doing it for fun. It wasnt clarified in the rules and there is nothing against it. If people werent allowed to vote for themselves them I'm sure Rui would have done something about it.

Voting for ourselves says nothing bad about what kind of person we are nor are we breaking hte rules. We just dont feel like sucking up and being the kind hearted soul who wants others to win instead so they look better, even if they had the better terrain. (No offense to anyone who voted honestly.)

I already stated Rui may take my point away if he wants just so people dont get all uptight about it

Level 2
First of all, GREAT JOB to all contestants.

I'm voting for Nbah. Dunno why, but his terrain kinda gives a Lothlorien feeling, some mystic or dark elves highly adept in magic. My second choice is Eleandor, I particularly liked his trees and his general idea of an elven city.

Level 13
Id like to say Good job to everyone who participated in this tileset. I actually didnt vote because I couldnt decide who's was the best. I honestly have to say I enjoyed looking at everyones terrain, they all came out great and each terrain has its own strong points:

Bob27's beautiful rolling terrain and sparing use of doodads created a realistic and uncluttered terrain.

Dalaran_Guard's terrain was spectacular and original by incorporating an orc hero into a swamplike ashenvale setting.

DemonsofDante's beautiful rocky waterfall came out great (especially for the time frame he used to create it)

DoomPenguin's terrain was very epic, portraying both the small satyr camp and the large undead swarm.

Eleandor's terrain came out wonderfully with the incorporation of high elven structures into a night elf canope

FGRaptor's night elf town was beautifully done and portrayed (very well) what many of us would imagine in Ashenvale.

HamHam's Elven City also came out lavishly with epic camra angles and a beautiful combination of doodads.

HappyTaurens terrain displays a very appealing WoW-Styled landscape while maintaining the open feel of the real world through his sparing use of doodads.

Jaakko's terrain made a beautiful and vibrant display of luminesce doodads and incorporating them into a lovely mythological setting.

KillerMushroom's breathtaking terrain maintained an extremely lifelike feel with the incorporation of numerous beautiful high-res doodads. His use of Terrain elevation and fog made this piece extremely stunning.

KingBob's terrain incorporated a very simple waterfall with some very nice eye-pleasing sky and light-fog effects making it a marvelous display.

Nbah's terrain created an enjoyable mix of doodads from a multitude of tilesets all carefully situated side by side for an interesting and unique eye-catching effect.
Ratherions terrain incorperated a nice surreal effect through his repetition while still maintaining an air of realism. His use of doodads to block the sky also made the terrain highly enjoyable.

Valcrist's use of square doodads to portray a waterfall came out great and his use of cliffs created a "floating" feeling. He also did a great job mixing doodads from different tilesets into the base in his final screenshot.

So you all would have recieved my vote. Unfortunately I can only vote once though, so I didnt feel it would be fair for me to vote. Once again Id like to say well-done to all the contestents in this tileset and I hope to see more in the future from all of you. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.