• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Terraining Challenge 2007/2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Alright Rui, due to multiple viruses and my big Project (we could probaly get that hosted....) I will NOT be doing more for this section, will begin contest again with barrens terrain next segment.

Level 8
In response to Chaos's problem heres just a few things to know throughout the course of the contest.

1. You can change the size of the map under Scenario.
  2. You can change the color and effect of the fog under Scenairo->Map Options
  3. You can change the tileset of the map completely under Advanced->Modify Tileset
  4. You can change the cut off distance of the sky box through Ctrl+scroll on the mouse
  5. Make sure You do not have any visible info boxes or selection circles when taking your screenshot.

Heya, some are useful, other are well known, for the guys around here.

I got an additional question:
How do I export and import files of/ in the world editor without losing the paths which are given to each file, for example a skin or model or whatever.
When I export the files and import the files in a different map, the path is lost and I need to give it again to what it has before.

I just came to that idea after I wanted to start a new terrain, but I stopped, cause I do not know that, and 300 path are too much to rechange them individual.

No need to reply, just asked myself, did not find a solution yet :emote_happy:

Chaos

Level 8
Heya, some are useful, other are well known, for the guys around here.

I got an additional question:
How do I export and import files of/ in the world editor without losing the paths which are given to each file, for example a skin or model or whatever.
When I export the files and import the files in a different map, the path is lost and I need to give it again to what it has before.

I just came to that idea after I wanted to start a new terrain, but I stopped, cause I do not know that, and 300 path are too much to rechange them individual.

No need to reply, just asked myself, did not find a solution yet :emote_happy:

Chaos

Maybe I'm just being dumb, but why make a new map? WE lets you modify size, tileset, etc., so I see no real reason to export and import 300 files. Just modify existing Ult. Terraining Map and save under a diff. name...

Level 8
Maybe I'm just being dumb, but why make a new map? WE lets you modify size, tileset, etc., so I see no real reason to export and import 300 files. Just modify existing Ult. Terraining Map and save under a diff. name...

Thats what we have been trying to tell people.

Level 9
Heres my first picture ^_^

It's not too much like Ashenvale in wc3, but it still looks cool to me.

Attachments

• Ashenvale 1.0.jpg
    Ashenvale 1.0.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 437
Level 21
Level 8
I think skins should be allowed IF the person announces which skin they are using near the beginning of each tileset and make sure it is available to everyone.

Of course i dont wanna mess with custom skins so i wont be doing that :)

Level 8
@Rui: As pertaining to importing skins or not:

My vote is no.

The rules have been set forth already, and we as terrainers have plenty of resources from which to create our tilesets. Adding this additional element of skins to the competition would create bias in favor one terrainer or another, and so we should be limited to those resources already provided for us.

Level 21
Okay, this map is far from finished (EDIT: for example the tile variation on certain screens I did not plan to submit :p) but I really don't feel like continuing...

Sorry for the overload on screenshots, but I felt like posting 'em :)
If I have to go for "1" final screen, I'd take Screenshot 6.

Map uploaded

The map idea: After the destruction of the High Elves, a group of Blood elves rebelling against Kael have settled themselves in the large forest of Ashenvale. The village can be entered by entering the portal (screen 1), although it's magically protected against non-elfs.

Attachments

• ashencont1.jpg
    ashencont1.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 173
  • ashencont2.jpg
    ashencont2.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 170
  • ashencont3.jpg
    ashencont3.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 154
  • ashencont4.jpg
    ashencont4.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 168
  • ashencont5.jpg
    ashencont5.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 165
  • ashencont6.jpg
    ashencont6.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 175
  • ashencont7.jpg
    ashencont7.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 176
  • ashencont8.jpg
    ashencont8.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 188
  • ashencont9.jpg
    ashencont9.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 141
  • ashencont11.jpg
    ashencont11.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 168
  • ashencont10.jpg
    ashencont10.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 166
  • ashenvale.w3x
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Level 8
Just looking back in the older days of the several wc3 sites, but this contest is far away the greatest one at all, refering to terraining ones.

Just want to came out with that, and a special thanks to Rui for it.

Chaos

Level 6
Here is an early WIP of the village. The actual dwellings are going to be inside the World Trees, plus a few ground based-structures will be added. I am going to elaborate more on the forest once the architectural part is complete.

Attachments

• MagicTreeplace.JPG
    MagicTreeplace.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 180
Level 8
Here is an early WIP of the village. The actual dwellings are going to be inside the World Trees, plus a few ground based-structures will be added. I am going to elaborate more on the forest once the architectural part is complete.

Whoah! Dark! You may want to post a screenie that is easier to see, as I still cannot distinguish half of what is there. Sounds like an interesting prospect, though, this terrain of yours. Good luck...

Level 8
Not in the competition, but thought I'd post some opinions
@Dalaran... I can easily see it

Mushroom, looks nice so far, though a little like Eleandor's
Eleandor, really good idea that was well executed, but the high elves bug me lol

Hmmmm... maybe there's just something wrong with my screen. I set it to 100% brightness though and it's still rather dark. Oh well.

@Mushroom: From what I can see, it is looking pretty good. Keep it up!

Level 21
Eleandor, really good idea that was well executed, but the high elves bug me lol

thanks, the main reason I took high elves is because
* their buildings simply looked better in this terrain
* It's something else than the usual "ashenvale = night elfs sleeping near a tree of life" ... And you got to admit: if there are 27 participants, you'd rather see something original than 27 NE fortresses...

Level 6
Here, I converted and uploaded your screenshots for you (Valcrist.)

I'll submit a review in a few minutes.

Attachments

• Ashenvale1.jpg
    Ashenvale1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 162
  • Ashenvale2.jpg
    Ashenvale2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 157
  • Ashenvale3.jpg
    Ashenvale3.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 161
Level 2

Im not satisfied with the satyr camp yet, and the first one needs some more doodads too maybe... I think the satyr attack on the elven village is a bit messy atm, but i want the village to be in flames and the levitating dead body over the blue flame. Maybe i should clear out some trees and make the ground mroe even.. Anyway feel free to suggest some stuff :p

Status
Not open for further replies.