• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Challenge 2007/2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
This is my first work now, of the last 3 hours. its not final, sure, and not the final view; but a empty cliff is better than a wide emtpy field.
please tell me whats good, whats bad and what i can do better.
so far

ashenvale001xw0.jpg

Level 13
@doompenguin: The random fallen over tree in the first pictures background looks very out of place ontop the hill. Also, i doubt that the trees on that hill would grow as vertically as you have them with such a slope. So you may want to fix that.
@FGRaptor: You might want to add a path or something onto that plateau and extend your town (the plateau looks lonely). You could also try adding some ancients on there or something. In any case it looks great except the empty plateau. But as you mentioned, its unfinished.
An Update:
contestwip2jn7.jpg

Its taking me a little longer than I thought..

Edit:
Work Complete! ...well on the citadel anyway. Lemme know what you guys think. I still have alot of work to do on the surrounding area though. (the mountains behind the citadel and all the land before it) Not to mention I still need to add in units and such.

Attachments

• Citadel 1 WIP.jpg
    Citadel 1 WIP.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 230
  • Citadel 2 WIP.jpg
    Citadel 2 WIP.jpg
    549.3 KB · Views: 289
  • Citadel 3 WIP.jpg
    Citadel 3 WIP.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Level 8
Damn! Thats nice! I've never seen one of those b4, but then again 1st contest so w/e.

@HS- I suggest turning off the fog and making a great backround that fits the citadel, the purple just doesent..... fit.

@FG Raptor- That hill in the front is kind of obstructing, I mean you could do something really cool with it, but otherwise take it out and maybe enlarge the village.

@Doompenguin- Yea the fallen tree has got to go, but other than that it looks alright, try for a bit more variation in the tilesets, so instead of just leaves make like patches of leaves and dirt, maybe some lumpy grass, try for more variation with the grasses and other doodads too.

Level 8
Nice, I like your placement of rocks. Maybe add some critters and moonlight (you know, the typical deer eating grass in a moonlit grove..)

Level 2
actually ratherion on the first screenie i have án equal amount of vines, leaves, grass and lumpy grass :p its just a bad angle for that.

Level 8
Ahh I see, then I suggest changing the angle :)

If you can't seem to get a good one (not good for plateu, bad for cliff, etc.)
Try zooming out a bit or looking more downwards (the camera does not have to be from eye-level)

Level 8
I would be an idiot not to join it, I thought a lot about this here, and I've got the same opinion as on the start of this(now huge) contest.

I gonna get my school examination and my general qualification for university entrance first, and then I try to make it you as difficult as I can for you to win this contest, I'm pretty good terrainer, revived of my older projects I returned with my 2. place in the fortress challenge, I'm ready for this ! Fear, the Reign of Chaos has returned.

Nice intro, hein ? (I'm waiting for the outland tileset, my specialty)

Rui, count me in.

In between, I wish with my message all participants good luck, especially Herio-san, my friend.

Chaos

Level 3
I think im 40% finished now, and made a couple of screens. i put them onto my webspace, cause its better i suppose, here's the adress: Click

Level 8
Well I changed the colors for the warden and assasin (not in this WIP), but still need a bit more feedback, I replaced some of the trees but you can't really tell due to the way I light the scene (but I like the lighting)
WhisperingRiver.jpg

Level 19
Took a look through the pages, is there any detailed version on how we shall present our final result ?

Upload the map, WIP, the final screenshots and so on ?

Did not see it in the first thread.

Chaos
Well I hope only screenshot. Because that's what I signed for, not making a level.

@Ratherion
I think it looks good. Maybe a bit more plants or something along the river.

Any feedback I give I have no idea do others agree. I think it's very hard to give feedback sometimes.

@Killer Mushroom
I like the shape of your terrain.

Level 8
I think I had already posted this in the first page. You should upload at least 1-2 screenshots of your progress before the final screenshot.

Got that with the WIP's, but your entry of the current tileset, you should present only one screenshot, or is it possible to add more, in addition it's requested to add the map ? :emote_huh:

Chaos

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Sure you can. And let me make it clearer; at least 1-2 Screenshots before the FINAL.

Code:
 x + 1

x is the number of screenshots you want to submit before the final. 1 corresponds to the final screenshot. You must have at least 1 screenshot before the final.

Level 13
Ah. Thx Rui. I made a thread in the terrain section for my WIP images. That way I dont spam this thread every two hours with a new screenshot lol. HS Terrains Link is in my sig also. I would reccommend that the other participants create a seperate thread to be sure they get more feedback (its very easy for some entries to get lost, especially in such a long contest). I will (of course) still post my final screenshot in this thread.

Level 10
Ah. Thx Rui. I made a thread in the terrain section for my WIP images. That way I dont spam this thread every two hours with a new screenshot lol. HS Terrains Link is in my sig also. I would reccommend that the other participants create a seperate thread to be sure they get more feedback (its very easy for some entries to get lost, especially in such a long contest). I will (of course) still post my final screenshot in this thread.

You can post your screenshots in this thread. . .just use edit the same post over and over.

Level 8
Not really. The Ultimate Terraining Map is for you to use the resources which were imported, not exactly to terrain in a 32x32 map.

So change the first thread, it's sounded to me like it's recommended. Some sort of block to prevent huge terrains... sounds weird ??

Then never mind, well I start new, see you later these days.

Chaos

Level 8
DAMN! My laptop commited hari-kari, I lost my terrain......
I have 2 install Wc3 TFT on my desktop now but I don't have my disks!
Well i'll have to go with my WIP as final Screenshot.... shoot...
I will compensate by making even cooler terrains on the other parts!

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Entering 2 final screenshots of the same terrain is ok. However, submitting 2 finals of different terrains is NOT recommended.

I have added Dalaran_Guard to the Participant List. Welcome aboard.

Now that the Texturing Contest has finished, we might have some more people around here.

Level 8
In response to Chaos's problem heres just a few things to know throughout the course of the contest.

1. You can change the size of the map under Scenario.
  2. You can change the color and effect of the fog under Scenairo->Map Options
  3. You can change the tileset of the map completely under Advanced->Modify Tileset
  4. You can change the cut off distance of the sky box through Ctrl+scroll on the mouse
  5. Make sure You do not have any visible info boxes or selection circles when taking your screenshot.

Status
Not open for further replies.