• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

WH40K, 3.27 Strategy guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
3.27 strategy guide by VanDamnit, a REAL 'PRO' WH40K TD player.

VERSION 1.03

Foreword

This is not a step by step guide but rather a general guideline that you can follow to beat the map.

In previous versions Gray would get almost no kills, this has changed now. Gray, now is, the most important position and player in the game. That is because all tower damage and splash has been divided by 2 now and the monster hit points in the later levels have been greatly increased. Also, monsters now circle longer around the middle before entering it. This works to Grays advantage if he chooses to play it smart.

Imperial Guards ( IG ) used to be the best race, they are still very powerful but they had to give their crown away, I will tell you later on who's the king now, and why. They are still very powerful to begin the game with. This guide is written for the IG race and the Gray player. All will benefit from reading my guide, especially newbie's.

Let the games begin ...

The first round is very important because all the newbie's will leak, even players who call themselves 'pro' will probably leak.

There are 4 entrances to the middle. Gray should begin by making two Shock Troopers ( ST ) near the left and right entrance. Don’t make them in the middle area, but make them on the path where the leaked monsters will pass. Upgrade them to Karkskin Troopers ( KT ) immediately. Actually, the leaked monsters will pass your KT's multiple times and KT's have an easy time killing all units up to level 4. Lets give names to the paths near the left, right, upper and down entrances. GL, GR, GU and GD respectively.

When your 4 KT's are built don’t forget to activate the auto systems. The commands are '-autodeposit' and '-autowithdraw'. Some older versions only listen to '-auto deposit' and '-auto withdraw', just add a space between auto and deposit or withdraw.

Don't maze the middle before level 9. It is a waste of time and money, only newbie’s or wannabe pro's do that. Sometimes its necessary to block one or two of the entrances because someone has decided to block the path around the center. Luckily, this is not possible in version 3.27 because of the terrain where you cant build on. Always be on your guard, its better to play it safe. When a unit is forced to move, it will move directly into the portal. To counter that in the first levels build some KT’s at GU and GD too.

When people start yelling like, 'GRAY, MAZE THE MIDDLE', 'build here!!!' Just ignore them and tell them to trust you. If Red decides to kick you or something he is not a nice person. When someone begins to maze the middle in your place simply type '-f**koff' and his towers in your area will be destroyed. Don’t let the wannabe pro's and newbie's mess with you!

You can build some extra KT's at GL or GR or even GU and GD if you want or need them to kill all leaks. But don't make anything else because you'll have to save up money for killing level 5 air units. Try to have 180 at least, and, actually, that's not so difficult. When the countdown for level 5 begins upgrade 1 KT at GL and GR to Special Weapon Squad. ( SWS ) Even if all players leak all air units the 2 SWS's will kill all the leaked air units, they are really that good. Sell them when the level 6 countdown begins and replace them with new KT's.

You need to save up some money for killing the level 8 boss units. When level 7 begins upgrade at least 2 KT's to Snipers ( SNI ) at GL and GR. So you'll have 4. When the countdown for level 8 begins upgrade all your SNI's to Ratlings. ( RAT ) Try to have as much RAT's as possible at GR and GL. Save up 120 gold pieces. Still, when the countdown is going, close all entrances to the middle except the lower one. You can close one entrance with 4 ST's. That costs you about 100 gold pieces to close all entrances. The lower entrance ( near GD ) should not be left entirely open, build only 3 ST's there. Your RAT's will do 'massive' damage to the bosses but probably not enough to kill them all before they will enter the lower entrance. When one of the bosses tries to enter quickly close the lower entrance and sell one ST at the upper entrance. This will make the boss units go around again, and the RAT's will do the damage. Repeat as often as needed to kill all the boss units.

If you really have alot of money I build about 5 or 6 RAT's at one key place coupled with a Bone'Ead for Bloodlust and a techpriest for the aura. Very strong defense vs the lvl 8 bosses!

Now you can start to maze the centre / middle if you want, but if you can, wait as long as possible.

How to build the largest maze possible?

You should begin constructing the maze in the middle from the outside on, starting at the lower entrance. Use all the area possible. If you do it right you will have the largest maze possible. Try it offline first, Ork Grotz can do wonders.

bigmaze.jpg

In the screenshot you can see an example of the perfect maze. To the left is the lower entrance, on the mini-map you can also see towers at GL, GR, GU and GD.

Middle game strategy.

Now we are approaching the middle game and of course middle game tactics should be employed. In general, save up as much money as you can for the end game.

Be sure to have at least 1 Basilisk ( BAS ) at GR and GL each for air level 15. For air level 25 4 BAS at GR and GL each. Boss is level 16, use the same tactic as with level 8 if they survive long enough. Don't make Leman Russ Tanks ( RUS ), if you need firepower build BAS’s.

Side note 1: Only build RUS if you plan to make Imperial Psykers ( PSY ) instead of EC's. ( probably only applies to other, newer or older versions of WH40K TD )

Side note 2: If you really are an advanced player, also called 'pro', you can begin with the Tyranid race instead of the Imperials. This way you'll need less wood.

When you get your wood.

It depends, if you are playing with very good players who don't leak as much you will have to wait a while longer, but if you are playing with newbie’s, your first wood will come around level 14, every 500 kills earns you 1 piece of wood. Most of the games you’ll play will be with newbie's. I have easily played over 200 games of WH40K TD and 75 percent of the games are filled up with newbie's. If you don't get any wood at all apply side note 1 strategy then.

About them boons.

I don't mind playing with newbie's, and I like to learn them a trick or two and help them with the development of their base. When they get no kills they become bored and they'll leave. That’s one of the reasons why its better to help them. You can also help them by building Aura towers in their area and giving units to them in general, but ask first. Because some people like to do things on their own. And of course money can help too. If you don't plan on killing the level 33 creeps you can give huge amounts of money away. But if you plan to beat the map, you need every penny.

About them pro's.

What I can't stand is people yelling all over the map saying that they are 'pro'. 99 percent of the case they aren't. And certainly with the coming of 3.27 most experienced players are learning a lesson.

Back to the woods.

Where to spend it? Well, do you remember when I said that the IG's have lost their crown? Pick a new race, like this, '-race'. Pick Spacemarines. Spacemarines now are the best race probably due to a severely bugged unit, the Emperors Champion. ( EC )

Side note 3: If you don't like bugged units at all you can skip the EC part and pick the Chaos Khorne race right away. Build as much Bloodthirster towers as you need to kill the creeps. Bloodthirsters bundled with Venators will beat the map but you'll read more about that later on.

Enter overkill.

It has the Challenge ability which does 50.000 damage once every two minutes, but, believe it or not, it will do 50.000 damage almost every hit! And it attacks very fast and it has a decent range. Massed EC's will own all levels till 32. Build them in your maze and at GR and GL. Build Techpriests and Bone'Eads along to make them attack faster. EC's are also quite decent against air. But I still recommend you to build some BAS’s for anti-air too.

After level 26 the game will start to become exponentially more difficult, monster hit points will almost double every level. Nearing 1.000.000 hit points at level 31.

Enter Hell.

Level 33 is absolutely insane. I have not yet determined how many hit points they have but I guess its about 20.000.000 or maybe even more. To kill them you should pick another race. Choose Tyranid. Research Web via your Tyranid worker and build massive amounts of webbers, Venators ( VEN ) at your maze. They will stun the Cows so that your army has time enough to kill them all. Be sure to have a lot of them by level 33. Then you'll need another race, Choas Khorne. You'll need the Bloodthirsters, I have yet have only recently figured out that Bloodthirsters ( BLD ) make most of the kills at level 33, if not all. To sum it up one more time, VEN's plus BLD's plus a moderate amount of EC's. But really concentrate on the VEN's and BLD's. To give you a figure of the amount of BLD's needed, last time I finished it online I had about 25 of them. All on auto cast, prepare for a major FPS drop.

When the Bloodthirsters are casting their spells, don't, I repeat, DON'T look at the middle because you can lag out of the game if you have a slow PC. I've seen it happen.

Even with all that firepower it will take allot of time to kill them all, and when it takes too long, the Cows will thrash your maze, even if you are not blocking. A good game of Warhammer 40K TD can last about 2 hours now, when it used to be 1 hour.

Last notes ...

When executed right this strategy will make you win the game. Don't be disappointed when you lose or don't succeed in executing my strategy, learning takes time. Practice offline first if need too. And in time you will never lose a game of WH40K TD again ...

If you have suggestions, additions, questions or critics, you are welcome to mail me about it.

[email protected] or [email protected]

Thanks to ...

Ralle and Bloodletter for creating the best TD. It's that simple.

Updates, versions

Version 1.00 - 17/12/04
Version 1.01 - 18/12/04
Version 1.02 - 19/12/04
Version 1.03 - 02/01/05

Some personal information.

Date of birth: 05/08/1981
Belgian nationality
Quake 2 nickname: SCSI

You can find me on Northrend almost every day.

See you on Battle Net!

:wink:

Level 14
I'm here. :)

I had to do alot of work @ work and that tired me for a couple of weeks.

SirMad: Psykers don't do much vs the Cows in version 3.27, the only thing that works are units that have a spell that reduces a percentage of the creeps HP.

Black Knight: While the strategy can be applied to solo games it was intended for multiplayer use.

Thx GST_Nemisis and Ralle for the respect!

Status
Not open for further replies.