• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[General] Unit with building shadow

Level 11
Greetings!
I tried to create a unit that looks like a building, but is not classificated as a building and I encountered a problem that is very annoying.
I wanted to have the buiding shadow on that unit, but that doan't work and I don't know why.
That unit do not have the same shadow as the building model even if has the same shadow texture as the default building.

After that I tried to create a building and then convert the building in unit and I found another problem..
After I saved the map -> closed the editor -> open the editor -> open map again.. I noticed a bug with shadow and the shadow don't appear in the game.
1714223743750.png

If someone know how to fix this issue, the help will be appreciated!

Level 20
Its there forever now. Jk. Did it fix itself automaticaly already or is it stillba problem?

Try recalculate shadows in same menu as save map. If that fails tick the is a building go true and default all building settings then untick. Make a new save and restart editor.

changing is a building boolean adds/removes data fields in the editor but these fields
can, depending on the field, still have an effect even when changed again.

Level 11
Its there forever now. Jk. Did it fix itself automaticaly already or is it stillba problem?

Try recalculate shadows in same menu as save map. If that fails tick the is a building go true and default all building settings then untick. Make a new save and restart editor.

changing is a building boolean adds/removes data fields in the editor but these fields
can, depending on the field, still have an effect even when changed again.
I tried to recalculate shadows and save map but doesn't work.. I think is impossible to convert a building into a unit without losing the ability to have a building shadow.. I also think is impossible to create building shadow on a normal unit. I attach a default map with this bug.

I have another question for you guys.
What is more stable for a map(i don't want the map to crash).. it is more stable to convert a unit into a building or to convert a building into a unit?

I just want a unit that is not a building, but with building model with 0 movement speed with building shadow..
I don't want to select "is a building = true".
Why I need this? Because I noticed that the same building converted into a unit has a different collision on selection. (I don't know why is this happening or how it works) (see red wisps in my attached map)
1 wisp is building and the other wisp is unit.

Unit.JPG
Building.JPG

Once you fix that problem, you can fake the shadow by placing another building on top of it, or a Destructable.
I don't know how to do that properly because when I place that unit on top of a building, the unit move a little bit from the center in game.
in editor.JPG
in game.JPG

The unit (in this case chimaera) must have 100 collision size, I forget to mention
I put a dummy building for shadow inside

Attachments

• Shadow bug.w3m
    23.7 KB · Views: 1
Level 20
I think is impossible to convert a building into a unit without losing the ability to have a building shadow.. I also think is impossible to create building shadow on a normal unit. I attach a default map with this bug.
Yes, at least to do it naturally. Its probably intended that way.
What is more stable for a map(i don't want the map to crash).. it is more stable to convert a unit into a building or to convert a building into a unit?
Theyre equally stable but can be a bit buggy like you have noticed. Thats mostly because the data fields for buildings dont always play well for units and units and buildings have some different hardcoded behaviour. Except for the bugs at the transition phase and potentially messing up some data fields theres no difference to the stability of the game on working on a default building and a building that was transformed from a unit to a building in the editor.
I don't know how to do that properly because when I place that unit on top of a building, the unit move a little bit from the center in game.View attachment 470866View attachment 470867
The unit (in this case chimaera) must have 100 collision size, I forget to mention
I put a dummy building for shadow inside
With certain collision sizes the units position gets slightly offset. Its a weird quirk that causes a bit of hassle sometimes. Would it be fine to change the collision size of the actual unit to 0.00 and keep the shadow at 100.00?

Last edited:
Level 11
Would it be fine to change the collision size of the actual unit to 0.00 and keep the shadow at 100.00?
It works but now I have another problem:( And damn it! I just found another bug that i didn't notice when i start this post..
Too hard to explain and doesn't matter anymore.. I give up.. I think all problems can be solved if I learn to create my custom model in some model editor...

Also, your bottom picture looks good, how perfect does it need to be o_O
I have OCD so I need perfection :)

Thank you for your help guys!