• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Terrain: Waterfall Effect

Level 2
The Waterfall Effect
An easy yet useful doodad.
--------------------
Introduction:
The Waterfall Doodad is an often overlooked doodad that can be very useful in maps. It gives a map that extra touch to perfect it. The Waterfall is not hard to use and using many at one time gives a nice layer. If you don't get it at first, just practice, and experiment with new ideas. This tutorial will not tell you exactly what to do, because its going to be your product.
--------------------
Pre Terraining:
First off you need elevation. I started off with the Lordaeron Summer Tileset because it is the easiest, but most of the tilesets work, depending on what your making it for. For a larger waterfall you could use the "Increase Two" tool. Wherever you want your waterfall to start, make either shallow water or deep water, whatever best fits the surroundings. Make an interesting looking cliff with drops for the best effect. Also put some water part way down the cliff, like a small ledge.
--------------------
The Waterfall Effect:
Here is the fun part. I find it hard to turn the waterfalls while they are all meshed up. So I line a bunch of them up (They look wierd right now, I know) and pre-turn them based on where they will go. The quickest and most efficient way to turn them is select them and hold CTRL + Left Mouse Button, then drag the left button around to turn it. Then I move them into place manually. Start at the top. Make the waterfall look like it is really coming out of the water. Add 2 to the same area to make the waterfall longer. When it hits the next part of the cliff, make another one start just below the previous one. So that there is a barely noticable gap, but large enought to make it look like the water is turning. Remember that real water will move in all directions for a short period, so all nearby drops must have waterfalls. Continue doing this until you reach the bottom. Put a river or small pool at the bottom to show where the water is going. Lastly, make a few more waterfalls and place them in spots that should be more solid or look unrealistic.
--------------------
The Effect:
This is one of the many effects that you can do. Ill attach the map if you want to look more closely.
The_Waterfall_Effect.jpg

ZeratuelX

Attachments

• The Waterfall Effect.w3m
    22.4 KB · Views: 112
Level 32
Improvement Needed

This technique is useful but the tutorial (in it's present form) is not. Review the rules outlined in General Tutorial Submitting Rules and Guidelines
  1. Tutorials submissions should NOT have an icon attached to them.
  2. All images MUST be physically attached to the post itself.

This tutorial is rather brief. I would like to see some more detail, perhaps splitting The Waterfall Effect: into multiple steps and adding another screenshot or two.

The screenie itself is just awful. First, that's a Dalaran tileset, not Lordearon Summer. The existing screenshoot is (IMO) a poor demonstration of the technique: the example looks even worse in the attached map than it does on this web page.

The quickest and most efficient way to turn them is select them and hold CTRL + Left Mouse Button, then drag the left button around to turn it.
I think you should also mention that doodads may be rotated by using the slash and asterisk keyboard number pad keys.

Last edited: