• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Terrain] Terrainer for Monster Master RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hi everyone,

I recently took over Robbepop's Monster Master RPG project, and have been hard at work revamping the systems of the map, as well as adding in new functionality, which will ultimately result in it being a completely new map.

That being said, there is no human way possible I can finish all the scripts AND do the terrain to release a beta version in about 2 months.

The terrain for the map does not need to be anything crazy or fancy, and it will feature many tilesets (forest, snow, jungle, desert, volcanic/lava world, towns/cities/castles) which should make it pretty fun.

For an idea of what these would look like, check out these maps/overworld pictures here: http://www.realmofdarkness.net/dq/games/gbc/dwm2/maps

Here are some examples of the work:

Oasis/Desert world (the first world players go to)
2cghlaf.gif

Pirate/Ocean world (second world)
x3yeex.gif

You would be responsible for:

The main city (unknown name yet)

The city monster arena

The city starry shrine (a breeding place for monsters)

The city monster farm (a place where monsters rest)

The city bank/vault (a place where players store excess money/items)

The city monster library (a library with books on all the monsters)

The king's castle/citadel

The city magic door (a portal that can lead to any number of worlds based on the key you use to open it)

Several city houses

Outside of city:
2mg397n.png

Inside of City (all venues):
2euls1l.png

Note that each of these venues would actually have its own part of the map (so the city itself is basically an overworld with a bunch of different warps to places).

Additionally, the work would also require several basic rooms/interiors that might be re-used (e.g. indoor of a generic castle, generic town, etc.).

Also, need for making a desert/oasis world, a island/ocean world (think pirates), an ice world, a sky world, a dark world, among many others.

Again it's basically all the terrain for the entire map, I can give more specific details if interested.

Last edited:
Level 15
I should also include more details about the task.

You would also be responsible for the level design too--this is an *engineering* task of figuring out how much space to allocate to each world/level/dungeon, where to put these separate areas with respect to the rest of the map, etc.

And of course you will be given appropriate credit for the terrain that you do!

Level 15
Well are some screenshots from the game boy game which the map is based off.

The terrain itself doesn't have to be an exact imitation, but something that captures the essence/simplicity/feel of the it. It's also to give an idea/estimation of the dimensions of each world/map, since the map itself could have well over 13 different, unique worlds to it.

Level 15
The terrain of the map needs to match its game play, plot, atmosphere, level design, etc. These are things which the map maker (i.e. me) comes up with. The terrainer's job in this case is to visualize those things in whatever looks good.

The only restriction on imagination is the overall layout of each world. The rest (doodads, etc.) the terrainer is allowed to do as she/he pleases.

On the plus side it means the terrainer has little responsibility and can focus entirely on doing the terrain without worrying about the mundane details of the map, being only concerned with those that have an immediate implication for the terrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.