• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Language exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hai there! Well, since i was a little kid, i wanted to learn Japanese so i figured, why not checking if there is someone interested in teaching me. I learn quickly and can teach Latin or English(tho you could find better teachers for English). Any native speakers would be really appreciated but i don't really care if you know the language perfectly, as long as you can teach me the basics. Thanks in advance for not posting irrelevant stuff.

Level 34
I doubt if some native speaker can teach you his language.

Majority speaks it without thinking, they dont know their grammar's rules etc etc.
We have English class in English speaking countries, does that not happen elsewhere?

Level 11
Yeah, but they can teach him words at least. Or some basic rules, ANYONE knows those kind of stuff about their native language. The very least is that they learn it at school. They should be very retarded not to know at least a little about grammar.

Anywho, I know a few words in japanese, but that's about it and I doubt I'll be of any use or will be able to teach you something significant. But, dude, if you know latin then w0000t, I admire you. That's awesome <3.

Edit: Damn, Gilles, you said it before me :p But mine was longer (sun).

Level 12
ehm, of course I had my own language in school, but that dont make you good to teach someone else, many people must learn linguistics in universitys etc.

I also find some strange rule of grammar what I didnt recognise before, many of them are very illogical to understand, for example double negation in one sentense

"Nobody isnt here" mean Everybody is here in eng., in slavic languages it is different. And nobody teached me that.

Level 15
That's because in slavic languages, words translated as nobody, everyone, someone etc signify subject over quantity so in slavic languages, 'nobody is here' is equivalent to 'subject is here' which assumes there is someone here while saying 'subject isn't here' makes it right. It all makes sense my friend, because just as any living things, language evolved into what it is now and every part of it can be explained.

Level 12
I'm Japanese and I can speak Japanese fluently but I can tell you that I dislike teaching people my language... it often goes... rather bad.

However if you have questions I wouldn't mind answering.

Keep in mind however, I have lived outside Japan for a long time and my Japanese is a bit rusty in areas.

Level 12
That's because in slavic languages, words translated as nobody, everyone, someone etc signify subject over quantity so in slavic languages, 'nobody is here' is equivalent to 'subject is here' which assumes there is someone here while saying 'subject isn't here' makes it right. It all makes sense my friend, because just as any living things, language evolved into what it is now and every part of it can be explained.

not a word of you makes sence.

So, can you explain why "two cars are on the street" are translated in Nominativ to slavic sentence(logical), but "five cars are on the street" are translated to Genitiv (english dont have cases as we, but why noun of quantity 2-4 are in nominativ, and 4< are in genitiv)

Level 15
Of course it makes sense. What's your native language anyway? On mine, if quantity is >1, they're translated as genitive, else it's nominative. Translated 'a car is on the street' and 'two cars are on the street':
'auto je na ulici' - nominative 'na ulici su dva auta' - genitive
This makes perfect sense since genitive form is used to express quantity while nominative is used to express a direct subject.

Level 12
ehm

"dve autá su na ulici" is nominativ (same with three, four)

"pat áut je na ulici" is genitiv (same from five to infinity)
sg. pl.
N auto autá
G auta áut
D autu autám
A auto autá
L aute autách
I autom autami

Status
Not open for further replies.