• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Editing the Model Import Tutorial (Portrait)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
You all know in our model section, there's an automatic tutorial on how to import the model (with pathes of custom textures etc.)

The problem is it tells you to set the Portrait file in the Object Editor

Tutorial said:
Bind model portrait to object
A portrait is the little camera view in front of an object's face. You can see the object's mouth moving when the object talks. When working with doodads, you can set their portrait file. But with units, the portrait file just needs to have the model files name, ending with a '_portrait':

Select a unit/object from before and double click this field:

This will open up a menu for you to select a different portrait you wish to bind to the unit:

WorgenHeroWhite_Portrait.mdx

Now click the "Import:" field and select WorgenHeroWhite_Portrait.mdx:

WorgenHeroWhite_Portrait.mdx

The problem is, this field doesn't exist.
You don't have to do it with the Portrait.
If the model is name "Model.mdx" and the Portrait is called "Model_Portrait.mdx", Warcraft does the whole job with the Portrait automatically.
Yes, I know the tutorial says that, but on line behind, it tells the reader to find Art - Model File Portrait, which doesn't exist.

This mistake causes much confusion by beginners and many times I see threads about it.

Wouldn't it be better if this mistake would be fixed?

Greets chilla_killa

You all know in our model section, there's an automatic tutorial on how to import the model (with pathes of custom textures etc.)

The problem is it tells you to set the Portrait file in the Object Editor

The problem is, this field doesn't exist.
You don't have to do it with the Portrait.
If the model is name "Model.mdx" and the Portrait is called "Model_Portrait.mdx", Warcraft does the whole job with the Portrait automatically.
Yes, I know the tutorial says that, but on line behind, it tells the reader to find Art - Model File Portrait, which doesn't exist.

This mistake causes much confusion by beginners and many times I see threads about it.

Wouldn't it be better if this mistake would be fixed?

Greets chilla_killa
I believe RoC had that field :p
TFT removed that field, binding models with their _portraits

Linaze said:
It says for doodads you set the portrait, which is correct.
Actuall, when I double checked the Object Editor, the portrait field only exist in the Destructibles section. And that field is just optional.

Oh, and here's what I found in the built-in import tutorial:
A portrait is the little camera view in front of an object's face. You can see the object's mouth moving when the object talks. When working with doodads, you can set their portrait file. But with units, the portrait file just needs to have the model files name, ending with a '_portrait':
The only thing Ralle needs to change is the replace doodads with destructibles, and bold up the text about units.

A portrait is the little camera view in front of an object's face. You can see the object's mouth moving when the object talks. When working with destructibles, you can set their portrait file. But with units, the portrait file just needs to have the model files name, ending with a '_portrait':

Seems these people didn't read the tutorial properly then.

Status
Not open for further replies.