• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Converting Loading screen to .BLP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I'm trying to use the Warcraft III Viewer to convert a .tga or .jpg to .blp for use with the Loadingscreen.mdx like back in the good ole days, but the file keeps coming out as 0 bytes.

What am I doing wrong, how has it changed?

Thanks

Level 12
I personally recommend BLP Lab.

Do not be surprised if it takes time to load and save the fullHD BLP.
You can make it smaller by setting the number of mipmaps to 0. And choosing the right compression level.

BLP Lab is a bit old, but in all fairness I use it all the time for all my models textures, loading screens and icons, and I haven't encountered any issue in Reforged yet.

DDS would be a much more modern file format to use, unfortunately it fails to be able to offer strong enough compression.

Level 12
Hm.. BLP lab literally launches nothing…

What do you mean with launches nothing ? You must be doing something wrong there.

Anyways happy you could do it with Magos. This said note that BLP Lab can also convert anything between BLP PNG TGA JPG BMP and... DDS with automatic mipmap creation ^^

Level 12
Yes that is indeed strange.

I think there must be some kind of incompatibility with your configuration, in other words you didn't do anything wrong, my bad.

Pity. Luckily, just like Magos, there are plenty of other tools.

Level 12
Well if it looks green it just means you haven't got the path right

The path should be exactly like this in the asset manager (if the icon name is BTNWindMill.blp)

ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNWindMill.blp

But it also needs a disabled version :

ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISBTNWindMill.blp

This should make the icon work properly.

Now let's say you have the paths right and it sill doesn't work, can you then post the icon here ?

Level 12
For passive buttons, they should be named and pathed that way :

ReplaceableTextures\PassiveButtons\PASBTNWindmill.blp

and for the disabled one :

ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISPASBTNWindmill.blp

This said if you use an active button, you should probably erase its borders and maybe a bit more around it in your image editing program to make it look like a passive button, because otherwise it is a bit confusing for the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.