• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Add New Abilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Can more abilities be added ingame? ATM you get the last ability available at lvl 18 after completing the main storyline quest in Grom Gol. If more abilities were added there would be far more incentive to lvl higher. Ofc the level gap between gaining new abilities could become larger, like the the next one available at lvl 36 (9x2 = 18 18x2 = 36) after completing the main quest line for a later zone.

Level 11
Spellbooks are ugly and we have run out of room for abilities, which is why there are all the improved effects after level 18

The incentive to keep leveling is the new quests, the new bosses and challenges, the areas to explore and unlock, and new gear to acquire to make you more powerful

Gwy

Gwy

Level 4
the wit of tkok is:
You must use your limited abilities with intelligence
not to have an imba hero with 1000 useless abilities

Level 11
TKoK is an amazing RPG with many amazing systems. Currently, the only thing that it could add to it is more spells. I don't see why you are shying away from spell books. In no way are they ugly. I think adding new abilities would improve TKoK game play by quite a bit.

Level 4
Please don't add spellbooks they totally mess up hotkeys and they are a pain because at some point you will just be smacking buttons - totally no fun

Level 27
No, actually spellbooks are not ugly and stuff. Its just that using them inapropriately can ruin whole map. You can use them for non-combat abilities if you want. Its hard to use them with combat spells since it takes lot of time to click on the spell. But in non-combat or "special" situations they are useful. Like for some useless animation abilities for RP for fun, also they are good for crafting abilities and dumping lots of passive abilities into one. If you REALLY need to put a lot of abilities into one hero, you can, but its not recommended to use it with hero's main spells.

Level 11
When and if we ever get to the crafting system, yes it will be done via a spell book, but it will be accessed through the Actions Menu thats already in game.

I do use spell books passively and they are hidden on chars in order to apply the hidden auras and effects of talents. But as far as a hero having the spell book to open up and cast spells in combat, thats ugly and messy because it disables the standard A, S, H, and whatever other abilities you had on the main hero spell bar.

That's why I will never use them for casting abilities directly

Level 11
Talent trees will most likely be expanded later on, since currently you can max out the talent tree at level 60.

This opens the chance for more Improved effects to completely alter the abilities

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Spellbooks are inconvenient, currently all abilities are on the same page with actions like stop and attack move, in spellbooks they are not and it just means more button clicks to be able to use them.

Currently from doing anything, hitting ESC will bring you back to you hero abilities, which are all spells, meaning from even altering your gear / tallents, esc will make you ready fast. With them in spell books means you will then have to hit the spell book hotkey before you can even cast the spell, and each spell cast will need 2 hotkeys (if it closes them each cast, which I forget).
That is a small reason why I like the current system.

As for possible future expansion of the abilities, you could make them castable on allies but when cast on allies unleashes a teamed effect (once the tallent has been invested).
As an example, using arcan missle on a defender (or whatever the hero with battler orders is) would give him the arcan shield buff which would grant him spell damage / 20 or something extra defense. Arcanic missle on a ranger could enhance her multishot so that next cast that is made shoots arcanic missles instead of arrows, with damaged based on factors from both heroes.
This I beleive could have the potential to greatly improve teamwork (have to interact more with each other) as well as solve any future ability expansion plans (in the distant future).

The only problems would be the complexity of implimenting it in a bug free and ballence way and also actually telling the players what their abilities can do when used on an ally (as each hero type has a different effect for some abilities).

Additionally you could allow toggle modeing of abilities with new abilities, for example at a much later level, arcanic missle could be toggled for arcanic barage (shoots a barage of weaker arcanic missles at enemies in an area) or back from that to arcanic missle. This would be far easier to impliment than the team up system while also allowing for great expansion in the abilities. This extra functionality would have to be added to some status page, maybe even items where you just click and it toggles one spell for another. Ballencing is also a key as you do not want people to always use the one mode of a spell and never the other.

Level 1
Can i make a sugestion....? Maybe you can put an Action Bar like in Darkwind RPG
That way you will have more abilities and select them witch you want that time

Level 10
Well I have an Idea on this predicament (XD) Actually I'm thinking of implementing this system on my upcoming map . . . well maybe not. . .yet. Anyway~

I was thinking of a system that you can set your currently usable active abilitites.

Ok an Example:

You have a hero. . .

Name: Mage

Abilities:

Fire, Thunder, Blizzard, Aero, Flare, Giga Burst.

So . . .

Let's say you have those abilities and you can only have 4 abilities at a time. Let's say you set Fire(0,2), Blizzard(1,2), Thunder(2,2), Aero(3,2).

uniteditor1.jpg

So you want to set let's say set Giga Burst. You will be given an option (Maybe via a custom interface like an inventory system or something) to set Giga Burst instead of Aero to (3,2)

So then the sequence will be . . .

Fire(0,2), Blizzard(1,2), Thunder(2,2), Giga Burst(3,2)

Also . . .

I'm thinking of a having a sort of, Ok I'll name it "Ability Deck". Basically you have 2 ability decks where you can set the abilities you want to use. Then you can interchange them(maybe via pressing escape)

Ok Example:

Deck 1: Fire(0,2), Blizzard(1,2), Thunder(2,2), Aero(3,2)

Deck 2: Haste(0,2), Vanish(1,2), Stop(2,2), Gravity(3,2)

Now let's say you are fighting and you have deck 1 as your active deck, which means you have the abilities you have set (Fire(0,2), Blizzard(1,2), Thunder(2,2), Aero(3,2))

now you want to use the other deck. You press ESC(maybe). Voila! you know have the abilities in deck 2 (Haste(0,2), Vanish(1,2), Stop(2,2), Gravity(3,2)

Well that's my Idea. Just wanted to tell you guys. It might not be File Size Frienly nor will it be code friendly but just wanted to let you know hehe.

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I too wondered if more abilities were possible for TKoK. But come to think about it, in games like Neverwinter Nights, how often do you get to use the skills you used to utilize at the start of the game? And when you do, do they really deal any damage that justifies their usage?
I think TKoK could have one more ability per hero by removing the Patrol ability. Nobody's going to use it, nor is TKoK a game where you should leave your hero to follow anyone.

Level 6
In my opinion, you should not add more abilities or make the have a bigger explosion effect as you level BUT you I think you should add more conditions and tweaks via items or talents as the game time pass and your hero level up more and more.

Make a talent at a high level that called for example Fercious Slam for a
Warrior that make his Shield Slam (I dont remmember that skill's name
correctly) do extra threat if the target is burrning from some cleric's Holy Fire.

And so on!

If you saw the example, in my opinion, this is a great way to keep up intresting improvements with the levels. :wink:

I guess the number of abilities are fine because I don't think you'll ever use lots of abilities... example a spellbook of 8 abilities, I don't think you'll ever use those 8 at the same time or succesively...

maybe they can add more spells but it is upon the player to choose what skills they will be actively using (in the current map I'm working on, you can learn all abilities of your hero which are a total of 8 abilities but you can only use up to 4 at a given moment via placing them into the hero UI)...

Status
Not open for further replies.