• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

About the new rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
For the new rules for submitting maps, i really think its opression because of how they limit newb mapmakers from mapmaking and force them to make a map that must be balanced instead of what the public may like. These rules make this mapmaking not feel like mapmaking for a game, but instead for something like work and im seriously pissed at how newbs may not be able to submit their maps in such a large community. I believe mapmaking should not be treated so seriously when it limits the fun of many people and that some of the new rules for maps should be removed.

They are and not limited to:

-must be fun and balanced (changes in perception to each gamer, and balanced always is not what everyone always wants)
-having shit to complement the map and not necessarily just having a basis for a map (old footmen frenzy didnt have much to complement the map yet peopled loved it)
I think this is unfair to newb mapmakers. Please do not turn this mapmaking into something serious rather than fun, do not make this into another website that stresses only quality when fun is the most important thing, i wont say names, but there is a distinct and famous one.

What do you think? (please dont close this thread or ban me moderators, freedom of speech should be allowed)

Level 15
-must be fun and balanced (changes in perception to each gamer, and balanced always is not what everyone always wants)
No. If you want your game to be played, it will be balanced. This is like, 100% simple? I'm not sure how you don't understand. They don't mean perfectly balanced, but at least so it's not game wrecking. For example, DotA is acceptable despite it's mass amounts of stun which is considered "imbalanced". LoaP versions where they have characters like "god" and "death" who can do whatever they want and break the game is considered imbalance. But LoaP maps still can be accepted.
having shit to complement the map and not necessarily just having a basis for a map (old footmen frenzy didnt have much to complement the map yet peopled loved it)
explain about this a bit more. I think I know what you mean, but I'm not sure, so I won't try to counterexample it.

I think this is unfair to newb mapmakers. Please do not turn this mapmaking into something serious rather than fun, do not make this into another website that stresses only quality when fun is the most important thing, i wont say names, but there is a distinct and famous one. What do you think? (please dont close this thread or ban me moderators, freedom of speech should be allowed)
It's not unfair to new mapmakers. The fact is people don't want to play a bad map. They want to play maps that are good. If you're a good mapmaker you will please a group of players. Take DreamRaider for example. He's a bad mapmaker, lied about being a 'JASS Master' (which is sad, because he couldn't create a simple cs system like in DotA. Whereas I made one in GUI rather easy), and overall was bad with ideas. However, because his maps were about Naruto and Bleach, a lot of people wanted to play them. His maps weren't necessarily good, but people liked them so they played them. Also, he hated free speech and banned anyone who disagreed with his ideas at all because he was a major internet nazi and he still had people clinging to his nut sack. Even his 'friends' thought he was a major jerk.

And you're not going to get banned for raising this discussion >>;

Level 10
the truth is you cannot define what the public wants, each individual wants something different, so why not let t hat person have that thing? Why not let people who dont want to download an unbalanced map simply not download it? as long as the public haves fun, the main purpose of mapmaking, this shouldnt be made. There are many newbs out there with dreams to display their simple maps and should be given the right to do so, atleast make diff categories to differentiate between maps following the new rules and maps mainly aimed at pleasing the public.

as for hte thing you wanted to counterexample, its "Imports, terrain, camera, and other visuals should complement the game." A basis must be formed onto the map based on what it is, and not that it should be average in every aspect.

btw i just dled nvb and it seems like its a copy of Dotas template at helper.net

Last edited:
Level 31
The main reason why we have this is to ensure the resources is at least decent enough to be play.

Map maker could submit their work to Map Development section to get feedback if they are unsure if their resources quality was acceptable or not. That is where Map Development section exist, to get feedback and to get rid of bug according to the review they get while map section are reserves for a work that are 90%+ complete.

Level 10
then i really suggest putting a section for the maps that dont meet those standards, and the general one for those that do. of course there would still be other rules htat apply to the maps, such as it actually having a complete concept instead of for example 2 revive triggers or something, along with no viruses and such things... that way everyone gets their way dont they? =)

Level 17
It's not unfair to new mapmakers. The fact is people don't want to play a bad map. They want to play maps that are good. If you're a good mapmaker you will please a group of players. Take DreamRaider for example. He's a bad mapmaker, lied about being a 'JASS Master' (which is sad, because he couldn't create a simple cs system like in DotA. Whereas I made one in GUI rather easy), and overall was bad with ideas. However, because his maps were about Naruto and Bleach, a lot of people wanted to play them. His maps weren't necessarily good, but people liked them so they played them. Also, he hated free speech and banned anyone who disagreed with his ideas at all because he was a major internet nazi and he still had people clinging to his nut sack. Even his 'friends' thought he was a major jerk.

And you're not going to get banned for raising this discussion >>;

I don't exactly get what you were trying to prove there, you kind of contradicted yourself. And you're also wrong. People don't want to play a "good" map, because what a "good" map is, is different in the definition of most map moderators here than it is to the public. Ergo why LoaP is played more often than "Against the Darkness".

What I'm trying to say here is: JASS proficiency and balanced gameplay does not make a map good in the eyes of the public. Because most people could hardly care less.

then i really suggest putting a section for the maps that dont meet those standards, and the general one for those that do. of course there would still be other rules htat apply to the maps, such as it actually having a complete concept instead of for example 2 revive triggers or something, along with no viruses and such things... that way everyone gets their way dont they? =)

There's the Map Development forum for unfinished maps. And if you just want to give your map to someone, either attach it to a thread or use the pastebin.

The maps section is for finished maps. People don't want to download a map only to find out that it's unfinished halfway through playing it.

Level 10
depends really on what you think of being halfway, in maps the gameplay should be complete for it to technically be complete, so thats what im saying if u know what i mean, anyways i dont really have much time to argue here about the new rules, but i gave my arguement and i hope others would contribute with their ideas and maybe some rules would be changed for the better. ^^

Level 19
Or you can set up a new Forum Category called Training Maps, Barracks or something like that where people post their maps in if they don't know f it's good, and mods and others will play it and tell them first, before the map can be transferred into the Maps Section...

Level 19
Oh... But what about some Sub-Forum in it for people who already completed their maps and want them in the 'Maps' section, while some people have to check if they're good enough to meet the expectations? Nothing big to ask for, it's just to make things easier rather than waiting for them to post, hundreds of people download it, say it sucks, moderators come, settle things out, delete the game, creator whines, he gets banned for insulting Hive... And don't forget, it will give them experience in Map Hosting, which can help them make extra maps...

Level 19
But what about my craving of a lot of Sub-Forums in the Hive... Can you feed me? Oh and, it really does make it more erm... categorized if you add a Sub-Forum in there... Then the people managing it can see all the Requests at one time...

Status
Not open for further replies.