• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spells & Systems Contest #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Contest Number 2
18/06/07

Welcome to The Hive Workshop's

spellsandsystems.gif
Spells & Systems Contest #2

Introduction
The Spells & Systems Contest is mostly like a mini-contests due to its low requirement, time limit and prize. The aim in each contest is to make a spell that matches the specification included below. To win, you simply have to try your best to make the given spell while considering the main judging points (see below).
Task
This contest's theme is

Mirror Image

You have to make an ability that's somehow connected to mirror images. I don't make any restrictions, use your "imag(e)"-ination :p. You can either make a passive or a castable ability.
If your triggered ability itself cannot create mirror images, of course you can add the normal Mirror Image ability to the hero.
Rules
1. Post your own work only!
2. Only one (triggered) spell should be sumbitted.
3. Don't protect your map!
4. Do not use custom sounds, icons or models that boost your spell's effects!
5. Your spell must support multiple levels (at least 2)!
6. You cannot use WEU's advanced functions!
7. The test-map should provide proper testing of the spell (low cooldown, many/respawning creeps, etc...)
8. Both JASS and GUI are allowed.

If you break the rules, you will be disqualified from the contest.
Entering
To enter, simply add a reply saying you will enter. You must edit that post, and attach your finished spell there!
Do not reply more than once to make it easier to find who's taking part and who is not. Do not reply unless you wish to take part, only Administrators/Moderators may reply as much as they want about the contest (even if not entering).
You have 6 days to submit/modify your spell, and one day will go for the judging and announcing the winner.

You can not enter this contest, if you
-have a negative reputation
-won the previous spells & systems contest.
Judging
Judging will follow a formula:

1. Idea (5 points) - I don't think I have to go into the details about this. The points earned depend on the spell's originality, complexity, functioning, overall look, etc...
2. Triggering (5 points) - Efficiency is the keyword here. Make your trigger layout look nice, don't make many triggers (if not necessary), don't make it too complex (do not overcomplicate it), don't forget about leaks, and make the spell as easily implementable as possible.
3. In-game playability (3 points) - Imagine your spell in an AoS or RPG game, and decide if it fits the gameplay or not. Don't submit a cinematic spell only. Multiinstanceability is always a good point. Do not make your spell buggy. A properly written tooltip is important!
4. Visual effects (2 points) - Don't make the effect too big or even too simple. Make it as nice as the ability allows it. It is important that the spell should not cause massive lag (first time cast lag is not a big problem)!
Prize
A spell can earn a maximum of 15 points. It's simple, the contestant with the most points will win.
The winner's prize will be 10 reputation points. However, the winner cannot participate in the next contest.
From this time, you have 6 days to submit your spell!
The deadline is: 24.06.07 (saturday)

Have a good spell-making ;)
~paskovich

Last edited:
Level 6
sounds good. ill try to get something done :)

*edit* i got really nice idea, alltought it will leak it still should be pretty original and cool and usefull spell :)
i hope i can make it work....

------Edit------

I will enter!

and hereeee wee go (this is my entry):

Split Personality:
Has % chance of splitting enemy into image(s) when atacking.
Also splits heros and images hp to 50% and the image deals 100% damage. When the ablity dissapears images remaining life will be added to heros life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I might still work to make the triggers better if I have time/intrest..Even tought this is mini contest i still would like admins to tell people about this contest in the arena forum.

PurplePoot:

Posts merged. Please, in the future, try to keep to 1 post in the Spell Contest threads in this section. We're trying to keep them clean, with things easy to find.

Thanks, and thanks for entering!

Attachments

• SplitPerson.JPG
    SplitPerson.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 218
  • split personality.w3x
    19.1 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Level 7
Why isnt this in the arena section? I may enter.. depends if i have enough time.

paskovich:
This is a mini-contest with low time limit, and 1 judge only. We, spell moderators (Dr Super Good, PurplePoot, wyrmlord, and me) will hold each contest (one mod at a time). The theme is declared by the actual supervisor. He will be the judge too.
As we want to hold this contest weekly, we won't put it in the Arena, as it is for longer and greater contest.
~pask

Dil999

Thanks for the awnser. I'm definetly going to enter, I just need a good idea.

PurplePoot:
In the future, dil, please try to keep to 1 post in the thread. We're trying to keep it clean, unlike the 20-page arena threads in which you can't find anything ><

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 9
I might if i actually make one tht is. If thus 6 days? it nt the weekends yet. Well i jst need to think then n plan out my week

EDIT: nah not doing it. alrdy have a spell from wc3c tht have to make better. I will participate in the the nxt one though

-Av3n

paskovich:
I will consult with the spell moderators about the timing of start and close of the mini-contest. Probably sliding it a bit, so a contest will start on tuesday and will close on monday, so the weekend will be included in the "spell-making period" in the future. So far, strict to the given deadline.
If you have any suggestions about the contest, please send a PM to any of the spell moderators.
~pask

Level 13
I will participate in this one, hehe this is my first contest, I'm so excited.....

EDIT: Is using vJass and systems ok?

paskovich:
So far, vJass is allowed.
Don't use complex systems. Only typical jass systems are allowed, like HandleVars. Nothing like Caster System.
~pask

EDIT2: It may be possible that I won't finish my spell before the deadline, in that case I'm really sorry, I'm making a spell that's way out of my reach (probably a common mistake when you want to compete with someone)

paskovich:
We'll see... Do what you can!
~pask

EDIT3: Sorry, I can't finish my spell, it seems everything is against me, when i move the illusion, it should've move about 500 units, but it moves about 1500 units in the wrong direction. I didn't count on such stupid bugs. I really can't fix it, I tried for couple of hours but it's just not working, I'm sorry I wasted your time....

Last edited:
Level 40
Dil - the Mini Contests were originally designed by Wolverabid to help promote the individual sections.

Anyways, Pask, am I allowed to enter?

And one last comment, must have missed this on the WIP:

To win, you simply have to try your best to make the spell as complex, good looking and bug free as possible while not making it leak, be inefficient and lag.
More complex isn't necessarily better.

paskovich:
1. Of course you are! You cannot enter your own contest only (well this is obvious..:p)
2. Yeah, I only copied Doc's introductional paragraph. I'll change it to something else soon.
3. Thx for merging posts!

Level 6
i have a cool idea, so i'm in.
one question (just to make sure), can images (copies) deal damage or have other bonus effects? (do they still count as images?)

paskovich:
A mirror image with damage or other skills IS is mirror image, so of course yes!

Edit:
finally submitting my spell: Aurora Images

in short, hero splits into three light components of himself, each dealing partial damage and having a unique special ability.

is still not perfect, but i need to watch for the deadline. i might update it later (make it mui and slightly more colorful)...

enjoy! (i enjoyed making it)

p.s. here's an idea: after first 4 contests are done, why not have previous winners organize contests...

Attachments

• AuroraImages.w3x
    40 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Level 5
Done.
The Mirror of Truth shows the dark side of those who look into it.
Enemy Heroes who look into the Mirror of Truth will bring their dark side into this dimension. The dark self lasts 30 seconds, deals 50% damage, receives 100% damage of the original and would only attack the original while alive.
Level 1: Mirror lasts 10 seconds.
Level 2: Mirror lasts 20 seconds.
Level 3: Mirror lasts 30 seconds.

Attachments

• Mirror of Truth 1.00.w3x
    23.9 KB · Views: 390
  • Mirror of Truth.jpg
    Mirror of Truth.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 787
Level 8
I would like to join in the contest.
=========================
Spell Idea
=========================

Name : Berserk Image
Description : The hero's ability gives him a chance to mirror image himself when attacked. The mirror images go to berserk and become very strong. The mirror images have limited time duration.
Also the chances to Berserk Image increase at each level, as the images' time duration. The hero may have only 1 image at a time.

- Updated -

Attachments

• Berserk Image - Spell System Contest.w3x
    37.8 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Level 8
Soon to be 4, pask. I have been working out a GUI storage system that will allow for completely MUI spells, but it has been giving me grief. Anyway, I'll have my spell submitted by the deadline, even if it is not exactly what I would like it to be...

EDIT: Okay, well here's my submission. Give it a couple of tries, as the first attempt sometimes glitches. The spell is MUI (tested with 6 simultaneous casts) without lag, and it should be leakless (if I didn't overlook anything). Anyway, enjoy

Dark Calling
Petrifies a target unit and calls forth a dark mirror image from the petrified form of the target. The mirror image deals half-damage and blocks all damage dealt to it. After a short while, the mirror image dissipates and the effects of petrification wear off.

Attachments

• Dark Calling.w3x
    20.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Level 11
Contest Closed

Contest closed

The way I see it, we have 5 entries in the end.
In order of appearance: :)

burned - Split Personality
edge[d1] - Aurora Images
UnMi - Mirror of Truth
RedBlade - Berserk Image
Dalaran_Guard - Dark Calling

Submissions after this point won't be counted.

I'll go and judge the spells. I hope I'll have time and I can announce the winner by the evening.
Thanks for all contestants, may the best spell win! ;)

Level 11
Announcing the winner

I reviewed all entries, leaning on the judging method written above. Here is an explanation on the reviewing structure:

<author> - <spell>
<cathegory> - <points given>
<penalty> - <reason>
<total points given>

RedBlade - Berserk Image
Idea - 3 points
-1 - Too simple
-2 - The task was to create a spell that is in connection with Mirror Images, but your spell creates a simple unit, and not a Mirror Image.
Triggering - 2 points
-1 - Uses a generated variable
-1 - 3 triggers could be merged into one
-1 - Location leaks
Playability - 1 point
-1 - Tooltip says the hero becomes invisible, but it does not
-1 - The event 'unit is attacked' is not reliable - buggy
Effects - 1 point
-1 - WarStomp effect was really odd
TOTAL: 3+2+1+1 = 7

burned - Split Personality
Idea - 4 points
-1 - We could argue about this ability's good and bad effects. Why is it good if an enemy unit creates a mirror image of itself? Well, it's not.
Triggering - 4 points
-1 - The three ifs could be merged into one using this condition:
(Random integer number between 1 and (6 - (Level of <ability> for <unit>))) Equal to 1
Playability - 0 points
-2 - Not MUI, but not even MUI/player
-1 - The event 'unit is attacked' is not reliable - buggy
Effects - 0 points
-2 - Nothing special besides the standard Mirror Image effect
TOTAL: 4+4+0+0 = 8

edge[d1] - Aurora Images
Idea - 4 points
-1 - Only a simple "extra" to normal Mirror Image
Triggering - 3 points
-1 - 6+1 triggers are too much for one spell
-1 - 6 triggers, 8 variables, 10 abilities... a nightmare to implement
Playability - 1 point
-2 - Not MUI, but not even MUI/player
Effects - 2 points
TOTAL: 4+3+1+2 = 10

Dalaran_Guard - Dark Calling
Idea - 5 points
Triggering - 2 points
-3 - This could be done much more easily. You overcomplicated the triggers, used too much dummy spells, so implementation became very hard.
Playability - 3 points
Effects - 2 points
TOTAL: 5+2+3+2 = 12

UnMi - Mirror of Truth
Idea - 5 points
Triggering - 3 points
-2 - The timer is unnecessary here, a loop with a 0.1 wait inside should not mean any problems in the functioning. That way, you could avoid using structs and timerstacks.
Playability - 3 points
Effects - 2 points
TOTAL: 5+3+3+2 = 13

This contest's winner is UnMi! Congratulations!
You meant Mirror Image a bit literally :), but the product is great. Good job! You can update your spell if you want to. If it's ready, submit it to the spell resource section. The Hall of Fame will be refreshed soon. Hopefully, you will get your prize in a few days.

Thank you all for entering the contest. If you didn't win this time, keep up your courage, there will be more contests.
The thread is now "open to the public", post your opinions about the entries.

Level 32
~this should be dealt with be dealt with by someone who knows what's supposed to happen to it~

Well, it's really up to DSG and the rest of you spell mods as to how you want to dispose of the completed contests. Some possibilities:
  1. Simply un-stick the threads and let them wander down the list in the forum.

2. Create one "weekly contest thread" into which all others will eventually be merged.

3. Create a sub forum in Spells and Systems to use as an archive.

It's up to you guys: take your pick from the above or suggest another solution.

Level 11
Umm, what do you mean, Silvenon?

Images (or Illusions if you wish) have a great number of possibilities in spell-making. The image-idea came from a spell that I made in the past, it was an aura that increases the damage by a given percent of friendly Illusions only.

But I'm satisfied with the contest, I liked most of the entries.

Level 6
Umm, what do you mean, Silvenon?
Images (or Illusions if you wish) have a great number of possibilities in spell-making.

he probably means that those who haven't tried to mess with illusions have no idea what kinda bitch they are - they don't get affected by this, they can't work with that, they ignore this ability when you give it to them, they differ in that behaviour trom original unit...

don't think it was an easy task you gave us... but then for each of us, it was as difficult as our ideas dictated...

anyway, my congratulations to unmi...

Status
Not open for further replies.