• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #1 - Humor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
Seeing through the Movies.... doubt I win.. but if there was a thierd place, and I had finished my movie... But nevermind

Jaakko: Very Very Amazing work! Some nice terrian (only a few places where it isnt that good), Storyline is totaly unclear mostly (but maybe the idea?) You have a mix of to movies (good models and good use of them, and love the thing you made with the jadi girl)
In the tavern things gets to unclear (first time in tavern, many things dont make that much sense...) Th music is well and same with voices, but many times you cant hear them due to very high music... Also it is good and very well made, but I wont actualy call it funny, I got I smile sometimes but must admit that Diablo-Dk's is more funny, but your are better made. Things also do get a bit crowded, the scene with the cristmas tree... as an example

Diablo-Dk: haha, good, but terrian isnt, rather low quality. But then trigger work is good, love the projector.. the main idea behind it all is rather low humor... but may funny things, though the end scene is rather short...and some of the funny scenes seems misplaced

Last edited:
Level 10
Hehe, i expected that people would notice my bad terraining skills^^

The ending scene got very short.. i had planned to do a longer and cool battle, but didn't get to.
I myself think that Jaakko's was better. He had much better terrain, and a better story(though it sometimes confused me abit)

In my cinematic, i mostly focused on strange and funny effects/happenings with funny sounds(like the last scene and the projector)
But the story wasn't..too well, but mostly my poor terraining skills that lacked. I tottaly forgot to place doodads, and my terrain would still suck with doodads. I didn't get to use much music either.

I bet that i get an 2nd place.. maybe 1st if i'm lucky(which i usually ain't)

Level 35
I bet that i get an 2nd place.. maybe 1st if i'm lucky(which i usually ain't)

Well if purgeandfire only judge two things funness and if his name is in it you would win. But with that overall judging system purgeandfire wrote and talked about jaakko will win... even though yours are more funny...

Come on! More comments on the movie, maybe it would help purge make a decision :cool:

@Jaako: No, sorry. I didn't look at your cinematics yet, but I look foward to it!

@RED BARON: Well, maybe someone else might win. But I didn't watch any of the cinematics yet because I wanted to allow people to change it before the contest ended.

I will look at them later but I can't at the moment because I'm on a slower computer. I will go on a faster computer today though and I will look at the cinematics. It will take a while to grade them all though. Lol...

@ragingspeedhorn: Yea, I expected a small amount of cinematics. But ya know, there is actually like 5:
- Aeroblyctos (Or w/e the name is; Sorry!)
- Jaakko
- RED BARON
- Jornadrian619
- Diablo-dk

And one more if you coun't the guy that posted really early before the poll was finished. Lol... I might have to look at that one as well. :smile:

Good luck to all contestants!

Level 35
Then you must have different kind of humour than I have.

The story was supposed to be a bit mysterious.

Yes had that felling.. :smile: About funny, I dont realy know how to explain it, you can say that Diablo-Dk's movie makes you smile more an maybe say he sometimes. You movie keeps them entertainted for long time (I hardly noticed the time it took, and also smile of the references, but no actualy haha scene. Was that a better explanation..?

@ragingspeedhorn: Yea, I expected a small amount of cinematics. But ya know, there is actually like 5:
- Aeroblyctos (Or w/e the name is; Sorry!)
- Jaakko
- RED BARON
- Jornadrian619
- Diablo-dk

5 (perhaps even 6) is a lot for a cinematic competition these days. Back in 2002/3 it might have been not to many submission, but these days cinematics are not popular so 5 submissions is a lot.

Level 9
Wooow!! all movies were great for me. I kinda liked Diablo better coz it was as funny as hell, but it had bad terraining, I could give you some suggestions like the camera adjustment and more.
The vote for me goes to Jaako, coz it was really well made. I also loved the jokes!! LOL!! At Yoda he said "It's an orc!"

Last edited:
Level 37
Jaakko I watched your cinematic. It was made well and much of imported models. Terrain was also good and I liked the sounds in some places. However sounds were awful in some places and I really had to put speakers off for some time. This competition was based on humor, I didin't see ANY humour in your cinematic. I was waiting humour, but no.

Level 19
However sounds were awful in some places and I really had to put speakers off for some time.
What sounds are you talking about? :/
I didin't see ANY humour in your cinematic. I was waiting humour, but no.
You're wrong, I hate a comment like that. You are insulting me there. You didn't see any humour? Then your mind is completely different from mine. I didn't see much humour in most other submissions, but mine was full of it. If you didn't like the humour maybe you can show what your humour is like, wonder what ever that is...

Wait, where was the humour in your cinematic? lol

Last edited:
Level 35
What sounds are you talking about? :/
Maybe he means the places where the music covers the voices, nahh cant be it course he says he had to turn off the speakers... no idea what he means havent seen any problems like that in it..

I didin't see ANY humour in your cinematic. I was waiting humour, but no.

:confused: maybe it tended to get a bit long, but there surely was humor in it..... like statue and so....

Bad News

I am sorry to announce that it will take a while to grade these maps. I hope to have it done by the 10th or 15th. There are just a lot of fields I need to grade on so I need to rewatch many of the cinematics. Due to my other comp's monitor being broken, it may be harder for me to grade the maps because my laptop is a little slower in some times and I don't have much time to stay on it.

Have a nice day. I'm sorry if this dissapoints any of you. So far, I was only able to watch Aeroblyctos' cinematic, I still need to grade it; though. :smile:

Level 37
Everyone, including you , has to learn take criticism. Every cinematic is not perfect. Your cinematic was well made and you have made good use of models, but it didn't entertain me. There weren't any good jokes and it was too long. Making cinematic longer, doesn't make the cinematic better.

When I uploaded my cinematic here, you immediately started to complain about it. That is why I have put some criticisms about your cinematic. Don't be too proud of your cinematic, everyone has his own opinion.

Level 16
You are a funny dude aeroblyctos. You say everyone should learn to take criticism, yet you havent learned that yourself.

Jaakko said:
I watched the cinematic but I didn't see a story, plot , climax or resolution. When the leaders were against each other I thought they were going to fight and maybe one of them die but it ended there... :/ Also the terrain looked like one from b.net games. To make it better you could use a lot of custom doodads like trees. There was way too much trees and I didn't see much ground elevation in the flyby scenes. Also to make it look like a cinematic you should never use Blizzard cliff (but maybe in some citadel or dungeon) but raise and low the ground to make it look realistic. In playable games it's useful to use Blizzard cliffs but not in cinematics.

That's Jaakko's review on your cinematic. That's about the best comment you can get. He's telling you exacly what to improve and giving hints how to do it.

Aeroblyctos said:
Jaakko I watched your cinematic. It was made well and much of imported models. Terrain was also good and I liked the sounds in some places. However sounds were awful in some places and I really had to put speakers off for some time. This competition was based on humor, I didin't see ANY humour in your cinematic. I was waiting humour, but no.

Your review on Jaakkos cinematic on the other hand is spiteful and flaming. The sounds were awful? Why not tell which sounds so Jaakko could improve them? And you really had to rub it in how there was no humour in his cinematic? Simple: "I did not find the jokes funny" would have been sufficiant. You are stating it like Jaakko had forgatten to add any jokes and had made a serious cinematic, when infact Jaakkos cinematic was full of humour.

Level 19
Everyone, including you , has to learn take criticism.
I think I know how to take critism.
Every cinematic is not perfect.
Well yes nothing is hardly never perfect.
Making cinematic longer, doesn't make the cinematic better.
But at least it means a lot more effort was put into it. I had this all planned from the beginning and actually I had to remove a lot of scenes because the time limit was 20 minutes. I'd rather watch a movie that lasts hours than minutes, but short cinematics can also be good.

When I uploaded my cinematic here, you immediately started to complain about it. That is why I have put some criticisms about your cinematic.
I just told you what could have been improved in my opinion to make it even better.
Don't be too proud of your cinematic.
Well I am and nothing will change this.
everyone has his own opinion.
Yes I know, but rather than saying it's bad you could have said how it could have been improved to make it better just like Mini-Me said. Thanks Mini-Me. And I'm not angry anymore about this.

Level 19
I'm not that active at the hive anymore, yet I see the old wars.
Couldn't u guys just STOP acting/reacting on each so called "BAD" comment u receive?
Please, for the sake of PurgeandFire111, keep on topic and finish this to a good end.
It isn't nessecary to keep mass quoting, it will go on for ages like that.

- Keep on topic, accept your comments and be nice -

Level 12
I dont frequently write here but now it is exception.

I watched Jakko's and Diablo's cin (red baron's cin is in rapidshare and I dont wanna wait >200 min to download it couse I have shared IP, rapid sux)

So Diablo's cin-terrain sux, I think it is your first or second cin, U have to learn more (something I couldnt for whole 4 years with WE)

Jakkoo's cin was better in everything, some jokes was bad, some good ones was too short, but No one is worldknown Comic, but as parody it was not so bad, but the story fragmented in not understandable mix, U wanted too much in too short cin. But 7.5/10 from me and I criticise very hard so it is good result. (but some cinematics bugs were there also, f.e. the rain under the roof of goblin's tent)

Level 10
Red Baron: I couldn't download it for some reason so I couldn't see it. ?/10

Diablo: I don't really care about the terrain because it was really funny, the fight was really short, but in the middle it was hilarous, nice trigger to, did you use Jass? 7/10

Jaako: If this was a *the best* cinimatic contest, you would win without a dought...but...it isn't funny, the terrain is good, the triggers are awsome. But it kind of got misplaced and it was very random, with the Jedi, and the two sithlord. Christmas tree confused me the most. Since the theme of this contest is humor, im going to give you: 5/10

Level 35
Last edited:
Level 19
but...it isn't funny. Since the theme of this contest is humor, im going to give you: 5/10
Once again in my opinion my cinematic had many humour and joke things going on. By giving those scores I'm sure you didn't read the first page judging points.

If I can say I don't think there is anything original in fart humour.
but the story fragmented in not understandable mix, U wanted too much in too short cin.
The thing is that I had everything planned from the beginning but because of the time limit I was unable to put everything I wanted there. I couldn't estimate the time needed when I started and it resultet to removing some scenes which I think were as funny as the other ones.
(but some cinematics bugs were there also, f.e. the rain under the roof of goblin's tent)
Yeah I know that but I didn't think that was a big problem because there really is a hole in the roof of the tent. :p

Last edited:
Level 19
Speaking of rating system it just got abused in my first map submission ever. Today my map had ten votes and rating was 8.89 but few hours later after this moron Valtz_32 posted in my map discussion votes rose to 28 and rating dropped to 4.16. All just in few hours although it took many days to even get those ten ratings so it's clear this Valtz idiot has abused the system and uses like twenty profiles to trash good maps. :( Valtz_32 did hostile feedback and downrating for me.
Shados said that I should contact Ralle.

Aight, people. Keep your spam to yourself. I will post the results soon in a new thread so you can comment in there. Right now, you guys are making it difficult for me to find the maps. Sorry, but really. Don't make me PM Wolverabid to delete all posts except the submission ones until final result.

End of discussion.

I'll hopefully have Wolverabid or some other moderator/admin/staff to close this thread.

Good day.

Alright! It is finished!

Thank you all for participating in this contest! It is all greatly appreciated. The grading is finished and hopefully will be posted here as soon as possible!!

Thanks all for participating! As a reward, you'll get a congratulatory rep! (The amount of rep given will not be excluded for any prize you win. Thank you.)

Thanks to all for participating again. I wish the best of luck to the contestants.

Watch out for the grading here!

Thanks!

~Thread Closed
thread_dot_lock.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.