• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[JASS] New to JASS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
This is the Site Discussion forum.

As has already already stated, we can't control Blizzard's creation, just try to learn and understand it the best that we can.

I will move this thread and rename it. The Hive's best JASS coders can then help you learn and use that advanced scripting language.

~ Thread moved and renamed.

Last edited:
Level 11
This is the Site Discussion forum.

As has already already stated, we can't control Blizzard's creation, just try to learn and understand it the best that we can.

I will move this thread and rename it. The Hive's best JASS coders can then help you learn and use that powerful programming language.

~ Thread moved and renamed.

Neither of those words have anything to do with JASS. JASS = powerful?! Compared to GUI maybe, but not really. Also, JASS is a scripting(yea, like everyone really cares) language as it's interpretted instead of being compiled to machine code.

I'd also have to agree with PurplePoot in that you should become familiar with GUI or a programming language first before attempting JASS.

Level 11
Jass is not difficult! It's difficult to LEARN! People get frightened by those ()-s and ',' -s and many caracters, but it's not that hard to understand. Especially when we have great tutorials everywhere, even on this site (thanks to wyrmlord :p). Read, follow, understand, and be patient.

Offtopic: Why does everyone follow suit PurplePoot by putting some forced-funny jass function in their signature? I like PurplePoot's, cause he has humor, but the others...

DeT

DeT

Level 2
what are u talkin' about?
these forums are very usefull 2 learn jass and especialy AI(IMO) so that's
ps: there also a lot of noobs who try 2 learn it

DeT

DeT

Level 2
Wolverabid, i've already checked it and also i read lots of tutorials in my native language, so..Sure right now i can't make any Super cool systems like vex's cs. or Toadcops(if u know him) inventory so..

And sure i think P.Poot is right soz u can't make enough good map without jass etc.
And to do this people need forums to post their questions because it's very difficult for some people to invent something new or to understand something that thay didn't fount in JASS tutorials...so :)

Rui

Rui

Level 41
You have forums here. The Hive is a huge community with good JASS Scripters such as DrSG, PurplePoot and wyrmlord. I'm sure they will be able to answer any questions you have.

And you weren't expecting to create great systems after reading a tutorial, did you? You need to first create lesser scripts before you advance to glorious systems.

Level 5
wow thanks i'll try...
i hope i understand

ty

can u explain to me how i can do this?

UnitCircleLoc

JASS:
function UnitCircleLoc_Child takes nothing returns nothing
    local timer this = GetExpiredTimer()
    local unit whichUnit = H2U(GetHandleHandle(this, "whichUnit"))
    local location where = Handle2Loc(GetHandleHandle(this, "where"))
    local real radius = GetHandleReal(this, "radius")
    local real currentAngle = GetHandleReal(this, "currentAngle")
    local boolean clockwise = GetHandleBoolean(whichUnit, "clockwise")
    local location tempLoc = null
    local boolean stopCircling = GetHandleBoolean(whichUnit, "stopCircling")

if(stopCircling) then
        call PauseTimer(this)
        call FlushHandleVars(this)
        call DestroyTimer(this)
        return
    endif

if(clockwise) then
        set currentAngle = currentAngle - 1
    else
        set currentAngle = currentAngle + 1
    endif

set tempLoc = PolarProjectionBJ(where, radius, currentAngle)

call SetUnitPositionLoc(whichUnit, tempLoc)

call RemoveLocation(tempLoc)

call SetHandleReal(this, "currentAngle", currentAngle)
endfunction
//Make a stop function that changes a gamecache value
//Store clockwise boolean on unit so direction can be reversed
JASS:
function UnitCircleLoc takes unit whichUnit, location where, real radius, real speed, boolean clockwise returns nothing
    local timer t = CreateTimer()

call SetHandleHandle(t, "whichUnit", whichUnit)
    call SetHandleHandle(t, "where", where)
    call SetHandleReal(t, "radius", radius)
    call SetHandleReal(t, "currentAngle", GetRandomReal(0,360))
    call SetHandleBoolean(whichUnit, "clockwise", clockwise)
    call SetHandleBoolean(whichUnit, "stopCircling", false)

call TimerStart(t, 1/speed, true, function UnitCircleLoc_Child)
endfunction
so confusing :emote_sad:

You have forums here. The Hive is a huge community with good JASS Scripters such as DrSG, PurplePoot and wyrmlord. I'm sure they will be able to answer any questions you have.

And you weren't expecting to create great systems after reading a tutorial, did you? You need to first create lesser scripts before you advance to glorious systems.

i never liked starting easy, i like taking it ad the advance levels cause i love learning new things

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 40
Explain to me what;

A Function is (mandatory)
A Local Variable is (mandatory)
A Timer is (mandatory)
What the Local Handle Vars are (optional)

and I'll explain that.

(If you have no idea what the first 3 things are, you're not gonna understand that anyways, and should start with something WAY easier)

Level 5
Explain to me what;

A Function is (mandatory)
A Local Variable is (mandatory)
A Timer is (mandatory)
What the Local Handle Vars are (optional)

and I'll explain that.

(If you have no idea what the first 3 things are, you're not gonna understand that anyways, and should start with something WAY easier)

all of the above but i want the units to orbit my hero wit the skill that makes the units orbitng him and mostly the function part and i do not know how to do timer so can u pls explain

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Read the tutorials, people spent days making them and so atleast use them.
Once your done with them look at some of our better spells in the spell section. Then make some trial scripts to test ideas/concepts and finish off by making your first jass spell. If you need a more detailed description of something, post the script you have made and we will see what your doing wrong/try and help you.

Because you have been given good answers to start you off. . .
[TOPIC CLOSED]

Status
Not open for further replies.