• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tree Revival System

Level 1
Tutorial: Creating a Tree Revival System

This will show you how to write a Tree Revival System in JASS.

Please give some kind of credit if you use this system.

Question:
I don't know JASS can you make a GUI one?

Answer:
If you don't know JASS it's OK. I explained everything: you can't possibly make a mistake... if you do try to copy and paste. Or use the included sample map.

Copy and Paste these functions below into your map's custom header.

JASS:
constant function TreeRegrowTime takes nothing returns real
    return 10.00 //the amount of time you want before the tree respawns
endfunction

//To add more trees press CTRl+D while looking at the Object Editor
//then follow the same format and add your tree's RAWCODE inside single quotes (Example ' ' )

function IsDesTree takes destructable a returns boolean
    local integer d=GetDestructableTypeId(a)
    if d =='ATtr' then
      return true
    elseif d=='BTtw' then
      return true
    elseif d=='KTtw' then
      return true
    elseif d=='YTft' then
      return true
    elseif d=='JTct' then
      return true
    elseif d=='YTst' then
      return true
    elseif d=='YTct' then
      return true
    elseif d=='YTwt' then
      return true
    elseif d=='JTwt' then
      return true
    elseif d=='DTsh' then
      return true
    elseif d=='FTtw' then
      return true
    elseif d=='CTtr' then
      return true
    elseif d=='ITtw' then
      return true
    elseif d=='NTtw' then
      return true
    elseif d=='OTtw' then
      return true
    elseif d=='ZTtw' then
      return true
    elseif d=='WTst' then
      return true
    elseif d=='LTlt' then
      return true
    elseif d=='GTsh' then
      return true
    elseif d=='Xtlt' then
      return true
    elseif d=='WTtw' then
      return true
    elseif d=='Attc' then
      return true
    elseif d=='BTtc' then
      return true
    elseif d=='CTtc' then
      return true
    elseif d=='ITtc' then
      return true
    elseif d=='NTtc' then
      return true
    elseif d=='ZTtc' then
      return true
    else 
    return false
endif
endfunction

function RegrowTrees takes nothing returns nothing
    local destructable tree=GetDyingDestructable()
    call TriggerSleepAction(TreeRegrowTime())
    call DestructableRestoreLife( tree, GetDestructableMaxLife(tree), true )
    set tree=null
endfunction

function Trig_Int_Tree_Revival takes nothing returns nothing
    local trigger t
    if IsDesTree(GetEnumDestructable())==true then
    set t=CreateTrigger()
    call TriggerRegisterDeathEvent( t, GetEnumDestructable() )
    call TriggerAddAction(t,function RegrowTrees)
endif
endfunction

function Int_Tree_Revive takes nothing returns nothing
    call EnumDestructablesInRectAll( GetPlayableMapRect(), function Trig_Int_Tree_Revival )
endfunction

This may look kind of confusing but I will explain what it does.
JASS:
function Int_Tree_Revive takes nothing returns nothing
    call EnumDestructablesInRectAll( GetPlayableMapRect(), function Trig_Int_Tree_Revival )
endfunction

This is VERY vital to the system. It starts it all. How does it do it you ask?
Simple: it Picks Every Destructible In The Playable Map...and then it calls the function Trig_Int_Tree Revival.

JASS:
function IsDesTree takes destructable a returns boolean
    local integer d=GetDestructableTypeId(a)
    if d =='ATtr' then
      return true
    elseif d=='BTtw' then
      return true
    elseif d=='KTtw' then
      return true
    elseif d=='YTft' then
      return true
    elseif d=='JTct' then
      return true
    elseif d=='YTst' then
      return true
    elseif d=='YTct' then
      return true
    elseif d=='YTwt' then
      return true
    elseif d=='JTwt' then
      return true
    elseif d=='DTsh' then
      return true
    elseif d=='FTtw' then
      return true
    elseif d=='CTtr' then
      return true
    elseif d=='ITtw' then
      return true
    elseif d=='NTtw' then
      return true
    elseif d=='OTtw' then
      return true
    elseif d=='ZTtw' then
      return true
    elseif d=='WTst' then
      return true
    elseif d=='LTlt' then
      return true
    elseif d=='GTsh' then
      return true
    elseif d=='Xtlt' then
      return true
    elseif d=='WTtw' then
      return true
    elseif d=='Attc' then
      return true
    elseif d=='BTtc' then
      return true
    elseif d=='CTtc' then
      return true
    elseif d=='ITtc' then
      return true
    elseif d=='NTtc' then
      return true
    elseif d=='ZTtc' then
      return true
    else 
    return false
endif
endfunction
This is the rawcode for every single tree in Warcraft...you can add your own easily by pressing CTRl+D while looking at the Object Editor
//then follow the same format and add your tree's RAWCODE inside single quotes (Example ' ' )

JASS:
function Trig_Int_Tree_Revival takes nothing returns nothing
    local trigger t
    if IsDesTree(GetEnumDestructable())==true then
    set t=CreateTrigger()
    call TriggerRegisterDeathEvent( t, GetEnumDestructable() )
    call TriggerAddAction(t,function RegrowTrees)
endif
endfunction

This is pretty simple also. It is called at Map Initialization. What it does is create a local trigger IF the destructible is a tree. This is found out by using the function IsDesTree which is found in this tutorial, "t" in this case. It adds the Event a Destructable dies and adds an action. Actually it will call function RegrowTrees everytime the event is activated.

JASS:
function RegrowTrees takes nothing returns nothing
    local destructable tree=GetDyingDestructable()
    call TriggerSleepAction(TreeRegrowTime())
    call DestructableRestoreLife( tree, GetDestructableMaxLife(tree), true )
    set tree=null
endfunction

What this does is to get the dying destructable(s) and sets it to local destructable tree. It then waits TreeRegrowTime seconds..if you don't know what this is yet...it will be explained. After the wait is done it will Revive the Destructable SHOWING birth animations. If you don't want it to show birth animations then set the TRUE to FALSE.

JASS:
    return 10.00 //the amount of time you want before the tree respawns
endfunction

This constant function is the Wait that is used in the RegrowTrees function.
It returns 10.00 seconds to wait. This return can never change while the system is running. If you want the trees to revive after a different alloted time then edit the 10.00 to whatever number you please.

Example:
JASS:
    return 30.00 //the amount of time you want before the tree respawns
endfunction

I just editted the 10.00 to 30.00 now after 30.00 seconds the trees will respawn instead of after 10.00 seconds.

If you followed the tutorial you should have this in your map header by now.

Real 1st Part.jpg

1st Part.jpg

Now comes the easy part...

Inside your Map Initialization trigger add the action:

JASS:
Custom script:   call Int_Tree_Revive()

Ok..so here is a screen shot of the Map Initialization trigger in the sample map.

MapInt.jpg

Thanks for reading this tutorial. I hope it helped you learn how to create a tree revival system in JASS.

-Hero

Sample Map: View attachment Tree Revival System.w3x

Last edited by a moderator:

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
This should be graveyarded. Hasn't been updated for long time.
The idea "let me show you how to write system just in jass" is rather unacceptable, such approach leads to spell/system submission instead - which this actually is not.

The system itself, described by author is horribly inefficienct and method is medieval. Goal is to use IsDestructableTree + simple revival script that adds everything that has been correctly filtered by IDT. We do not need any "switch -case" spam.

On top of that, this can be easily tricked to return false results :)

Level 4
I don't use JASS, I'm a GUI practitioner, but I tested this script by inserting it into the startup map and to my incredible surprise, it worked perfectly.
I don't understand why for Bannar the system doesn't seem to work.

I have just one note about it: What if we want to have trees that can revive every 10.00 seconds and Rawcodes for others to revive trees every 80.00 seconds?
I don't understand anything about JASS, I tried to switch codes and add a new timer for new rawcodes, but it didn't work.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Next to it being 6 years old, the main issue is the use of TriggerSleepAction. TriggerSleepAction generates net traffic and is not an accurate delay as it does not scale with game speed or track game time. For example if one killed a tree then was stuck in the waiting for player window or the game was paused for 60 seconds then when gameplay resumes the trees might already be revived despite only a few seconds of gameplay since the tree was killed.

Level 4
Dear friend, if this's 6 years, but if your cause is still sustained ... possibly it is because there is a problem of very great effectiveness for reviving trees, it is not such an easy system to find anywhere.
As for the lack of effectiveness in the accuracy of time, this for me is not a problem through TriggerSleepAction, after all, my search is for a Singleplayer system, I will not be leaving or I will not have problems with disconnections and if I save the game returning with a break seconds, it also won't make a difference if only in that short time there will be a new spontaneous event. My main problem is the inefficiency in GUI systems and making sure to clean up leaks. Most triggers do not work perfectly in "Regions" or in "Destructible die" condition, I just need the most standard trees in some period of the game to be reborn, regardless of the delay being for a short or long period, still sporadically ...
Because a BloodMage can fire a FlameStrike and bring down all the trees and the GUI system in a region that does not read dead trees correctly, it will end at once and never revive trees again.

My only problem is that I am not familiar with JASS, I understood the option for the rebirth interval and the placement of rawcodes for each desired tree.
What I just wanted was to be able to separate a longer interval period (900.0 sec) for standard type trees and insert another period (20.0 sec) for smaller type trees (customized) for a harvesting system. My map has an agricultural economic system and I need it to be reborn in short periods.
But it also has a long-term revival of standard trees.
Would it be possible to differentiate between intervals of time and types of trees?

Last edited:
Level 17
you can do something like this

JASS:
globals
    Table t
endglobals

function TreeRegrowTime takes destructable d returns real
    return t[GetDestructableTypeId(d)]
endfunction

function Init takes nothing returns nothing
    set t = Table.create()
    set t.real['1234'] = 10.0
    set t.real['abcd'] = 25.0
endfunction

requires Table:
[Snippet] New Table

Level 4
you can do something like this
requires Table:
[Snippet] New Table

Sorry friend, do you mean that I would need to insert a new table code ([Snippet] New Table) to activate the possibility of such a function? or just create a new table variable with the array specification?
Pardon, but I'm a zero on the left in JASS subjects... I didn't understand much, I'll see if I read Bribe's post to be able to reason something ...
I'm brazilian, also disregard my English.

Level 17
All you have to do is copy&paste the Table Snippet into your map.
Basically, Table is used here as an array, but arrays wont work due to their "low" index limitations.
GetDestructableTypeId(Destructable d) returns a large number that wont fit into an array index, thats why we use table.

Level 4
All you have to do is copy&paste the Table Snippet into your map.
Basically, Table is used here as an array, but arrays wont work due to their "low" index limitations.
GetDestructableTypeId(Destructable d) returns a large number that wont fit into an array index, thats why we use table.
I think I understand. So:
Regarding what you say "require" [Snippet] New Table, I would need to copy the snippet table script, the JASS Code by Bribe: "library Table ... endlibrary" to the header of my map.
And then I will need to remove (or not) the "TreeRegrowTime" function from the author of the post and then replace (or add) with the description you passed on:
"globals
Table t
endglobals
. . .
function TreeRegrowTime
t.real set ['1234'] = 10.0
. . .
endfunction
"
But where ['abcd'] would be Rawcode
and "= 25.0" are the time for each one?

Level 17
Exactly. You dont have to put it in map header tho.
You have to initialize the table data somewhere (for example with an initialization event)
set t.real['BTtw'] = 20.0
set t.real['....

this would take a tree of type 'BTtw' 20 seconds to respawn.

Level 4
@GIMLI_2 , Sorry to be bothering you, but still no success!
In the GUI initialization trigger I fired the call to the function "Custom script: call Init ()".
I removed the TreeRegrowTime function (from the author) and added the data you suggested using the new TreeRegrowTime function next to the table with the new raw codes, but even so the map does not save and creates an error for the type of table.
And if I add all the data from the "[Snippet] New Table" to the code, it also creates an error for the redeclared identifier "t", I think it is unnecessary to insert that.
If you have any solution, thank you, here are images of the error attached.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/131IAnUMOSVZJAz9mM0S0Iuw0JzbFRgPQ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ylhhd7h8uYRsUDnXrI2IYT4i03gUyMcl/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lxdbso6ibGEIj0b4u8108RQ6dQzw2s84/view?usp=sharing

Level 17
@GIMLI_2 , Sorry to be bothering you, but still no success!
You are not bothering me^^

Always declare globals on top.
The first error is because of not having Table Snippet in your map.
About the second error.. hmm, try to rename your table instance to something else than "t" and try again
You can upload your map if it still doesnt work, so i can have a look at it.

Level 4
@GIMLI_2
I tried several ways, but it always comes down to some script error. I definitely don't know JASS.
I'm sending you a test map. Consider only what is in the "custom script code" and the customscript calls in the first trigger of the Map_Initializacion folder.
Disregarding all other remaining triggers, this is not a real playable map, it is for testing purposes only.
Thank you.

OBS. In this custom script code, the code "Tree Revival System" from the author of the post was added. I also added your table template to what we aim for here. I also added the Snippet-Table at the end.
Under these conditions, it is impossible to save the map without creating errors.

Attachments

• MapTest_TreeEdit.rar
    3.9 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Level 4
Try this out, i didnt test it but it should work
The trees are even reborn normally. But instantly, every 1 second is reborn, unfortunately it seems that the 10 or 25 second timer is not identified by the table. I even changed it to 120 sec, but it still resurrects quickly. Perhaps some specification was missing...
As for the codes, the organization by separate triggers really got a lot better.

EDIT: For those interested, I leave an alternative tip to revive different trees.
I was researching a little more and for this case, using "Waits" fits very well. If you want to use a time over 10s, which is normal as there are cases where we need trees to be reborn for more than 90s. Using GUI with "Waits" will not have a big impact on time, as it creates a fraction of a second difference in delay... only!
The timer may not be as accurate as "TriggerSleepAction", however if the game pauses, Waits will pause as well. Therefore,
it's more advantageous to use "Waits"!
I leave the link of an unknown author of the Epic website that has a map with a good example, in this case the trees are reborn at about 5sec, if you want only one specific tree to be reborn, create triggers for each tree by placing the condition
"dying destructible is a tree of type xxx"
and in the action changing to create the same type of tree in the position dying.
Ps. Maybe there is a Leak in the position that reborn the tree, I don't remember if the map author used Script to remove the point, I think the ideal is to create a point variable and clean the variable afterwards.

Map: Tree Regrow & Plant Tree
Tree Regrow & Plant Tree - Warcraft 3 Maps - Epic War.com

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
This has not aged well enough.

The visuals do not hold up, this is fix-able however as I can just edit the thread.
More importantly, the way to detect a tree is not best practice. Last I checked, using a dummy unit and ordering it to harvest a destructable scales better because you do not have to have hard-coded list. Example and shameless advertisement: IsDestructableTree GUI 1.1

Additionally, as pointed out this is borderline a system submission at the moment. While some concepts are explained, I would argue that if you know JASS and can follow the instructions you do not need a tutorial because it's quite basic. More than likely you just copy the code and don't read, at which point its just a system.