• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Random Terraining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
This are some terraining i've done. I got addicted to WoW for a year but now im back and using world editor and trying to get better.

The lake uses only blizzard models along with the forest picture (1st terrain).
The tauren oasis was my 2nd terrain.

The fireplace and aquarium are part of a murder at the mansion map im working on. (I always liked traps and passages etc. The only thing hindering me is room ideas. Any clue what would go in a basement 'sides a wine cellar and evil lab?)

By the way, when the player pulls the lever, a jet of flame shoots out, killing the unit (was very fun to make)

EDIT: Moved all of the previous pictures up to this post and added around 8 new pictures of the map (still on hold).

Attachments

• lake.jpg
    lake.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 1,265
  • lighthouse2.jpg
    lighthouse2.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 1,241
  • dark temple2.jpg
    dark temple2.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 1,117
  • forest.jpg
    forest.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1,150
  • taurencamp.jpg
    taurencamp.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 1,051
  • evil1.jpg
    evil1.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 954
  • Map_fireplace.JPG
    Map_fireplace.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 919
  • Map_Aquarium.JPG
    Map_Aquarium.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 859
  • Map_bath.JPG
    Map_bath.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 793
  • Map_Cellar.JPG
    Map_Cellar.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 743
  • Map_fountain.JPG
    Map_fountain.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 890
  • Map_balcony.JPG
    Map_balcony.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 784
  • Map_Conservatory.JPG
    Map_Conservatory.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 767
  • Map_Foyer.JPG
    Map_Foyer.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 689
  • Map_hallway.JPG
    Map_hallway.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 666
  • Map_hall.JPG
    Map_hall.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 665
  • map_lab.JPG
    map_lab.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 667
  • Map_master.JPG
    Map_master.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 627
  • Map_pool.JPG
    Map_pool.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 677
  • Map_room1.JPG
    Map_room1.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 667
  • Map_room2.JPG
    Map_room2.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 678
  • Map_Start.JPG
    Map_Start.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 720
  • Map_Upstairs.JPG
    Map_Upstairs.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 666
  • Map_wine.JPG
    Map_wine.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 643
Last edited:
Level 8
Excellent screens, the tower in the picture 4 is beautiful.

BTW WHAT DID U USE to make that AMAZING WATERFLL in the 1ST SCREEN?

+rep

PS: I would certainly love to see the Murder.......... map u are working on.

Like i said, purely blizzard doodads. I removed all hte colors from the normal waterfall, leaving only the spray. Then w/ some carefully placed rocks i covered up the black water so only white showed. If you look closely you can see what im talking about. All about perspective :-D

I actually started the map 2 years ago, but i shelved it when a friend got me addicted to WoW, but ive started again after cancelling my account. Sadly some of the triggers dont work now and i never even finished the terraining. Im trying to make it more immersive by adding items and such.
---Examples would include:
Random keys spawning that are used to open up larger areas of the house. A map that hints at passages.
A candle to increase your visibility.
Trying to do a booze item that gives a 50% chance to avoid any damage for 15 sec (No luck so far).
And possibly an item that lets you teleport between rooms through the use of paintings.
I also have a working elevator (No real biggie but i think its a nice touch up to normal games)---
Sadly it wont be revolutionary, its largely for me and some friends.

The map has been using only models from the Ultimate Terraining Map (Which i think someone should put up here for all the new terrainers) however i saw the house models posted up by xXm0rpH3usXx and it almost made me want to start over completely due to their sheer beauty and how well they would work in my map.

Enough rambling hehe, thanks for the comments guys :)

Level 6
Like i said, purely blizzard doodads. I removed all hte colors from the normal waterfall, leaving only the spray. Then w/ some carefully placed rocks i covered up the black water so only white showed. If you look closely you can see what im talking about. All about perspective :-D

I actually started the map 2 years ago, but i shelved it when a friend got me addicted to WoW, but ive started again after cancelling my account. Sadly some of the triggers dont work now and i never even finished the terraining. Im trying to make it more immersive by adding items and such.
---Examples would include:
Random keys spawning that are used to open up larger areas of the house. A map that hints at passages.
A candle to increase your visibility.
Trying to do a booze item that gives a 50% chance to avoid any damage for 15 sec (No luck so far).
And possibly an item that lets you teleport between rooms through the use of paintings.
I also have a working elevator (No real biggie but i think its a nice touch up to normal games)---
Sadly it wont be revolutionary, its largely for me and some friends.

The map has been using only models from the Ultimate Terraining Map (Which i think someone should put up here for all the new terrainers) however i saw the house models posted up by xXm0rpH3usXx and it almost made me want to start over completely due to their sheer beauty and how well they would work in my map.

Enough rambling hehe, thanks for the comments guys :)

Lol, i will try that waterfall "trick"

Sounds great, perhaps u should open a thread about ur map in the Map Development forum, and attached ur test map, im sure u will get feedback, comments, and someone who can help u with the improvment of the map.

Level 8
Lol, i will try that waterfall "trick"

Sounds great, perhaps u should open a thread about ur map in the Map Development forum, and attached ur test map, im sure u will get feedback, comments, and someone who can help u with the improvment of the map.

Yeah i might. Im at least going to finish the terraining and patching. I have like 4 rooms left, including a spider cave and a backyard at least to finish.

Here are a few screenshots i just took showing the foyer, upstairs, master bedroom and secret tunnel, starting room, one of the hallways, the conservatory, the empty pool and the balcony

EDIT: Moved the pictures to main post

Last edited:
Level 8
It's a very nice piece of work. About the waterfall, I thought you used a custom doodad =P maybe you should post a tutorial about it, if you would like to spread that skill, of course =D

not so much a trick as something i happened upon when i got sick of blizzards boring and tacky doodads. The main thing you need to know is just how to use objects to cover sections you dont want to show and just show what you want. Id have to say thats my best terrain so far, due mainly to how the waterfall was set up.

Level 8
JUST GREAT ! I love them all ... hope you go on with Terraining, cause these ones are just beautiful ... impressive !
EDIT: Sorry if this goes under "old thread, why did you reply it ?" But I looked here and there, and here I stucked.

Chaos:infl_thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 8
Lies. HernanG pwns me. By the way, i have immense creative blocks so i cannot say all of these are completely original (The lighthouse one is my attempt to recreate a Thomas Kinkade painting in my own fasion)

Level 6
Iam to lazy to critize every screenshot, they look nice overall but some look unfinished or have small flaws so small you should say its ok.
So i give it a 8/10.

Level 9
These terrains are amazing. some of the best I've seen. My favorites were the waterfall (Which seems to be a favorite among a lot of people) and the one with the acolytes around the eye. That one gave a spooky evil ritual look to it. +rep over all I'de give it a 9/10 because the pictures were just amazing but a few of them were a little over filled or didn't have much in them like the flight of stairs which didn't have much in it. Other wise GREAT WORK! :infl_thumbs_up:

Level 25
Stormwind? Which picture and when did he mention it was a part of Stormwind? Could be coinsidence you know! :p
Well anyway, I really hope you continue making more terrains. Your work is inspiring and I'd love to see more work by you.
~Craka_J

Yay, 900th post!

Level 8
The screenshot isnt based off Stormwind and I hadnt played WoW at the time of making it. I'm also pretty much done terraining, i dont have the time or interest anymore so i just lurk these boards when i get bored from time to time

Level 25
Sadly this is true. I miss HernanG :'(
Beam was a good one too. Haven't seen him for ages on any forum for years! He may be active only at maps.worldofwar.net's forums though. That is where I first noticed his work. Infact, I used to study his style a bit as well when I began to terrain for WC3.
~Craka_J

Level 34
Hmm, I'll check him out, although I have to admit that the work in the challenges are pretty awesome. Too bad there are not too many entries. I should get one in.

Very good terrain. I like it. I will give you an 8.00 out of 10.00 rating because there are some simple terrains. But still you are a professional!

[Edit by Craka_J]
Edit

I corrected Oziris's spelling and grammar errors in this post. And please, when you post, make sure you include a part to the post that makes it into constructive critique. Thank you!
Edit

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 34
Oziris, no offense, but it would be really nice if you put a little effort into your grammar and spelling. It makes reading posts less of a chore. I myself have horrible spelling, but it does underline things in red. It would be much appreciated.

Watch, I will have made a mistake in this post.

Last edited:
Level 25
underling
Oo0Ooh! You made a spelling error! I will now begin to rant on how silly you are for spelling one word in a whole post wrong, while the other had spelled just about everything wrong.
[rant]You're a noob for not giving a good example to the other noob! lawl I need a life[/rant]

Just kidding. :p
Anyway, I corrected Oziris's spelling and grammar errors and added a little note for him to read as well; which he probably won't read either way.
*sigh* The thing people do for post counts lol
~Craka_J

Status
Not open for further replies.