• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

How do you revise Biology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
College I assume?
Well, since Biology is a memorization (mostly) lesson, I would recommend to record your voice while reading the book (don't have to be too loud, but enough for you to hear it well in the recorder) and hear this recording again and again. To handle boredom of repeated hearing, I recommend having a background music (either during recording or inside your phone), the music shouldn't have voices.

Level 21
Guys! I need urgent help here! I admit I am not good at Biology. Anyone got any good ways to revise biology? I am taking IGCSE standard. Anyone?

Oh dear... you asked about the only subject (apart from History) that I detest. If you are an IG student and you are taking Biology O-level, I can give you some tips since I'm also an IG student and I've just done that exam in May.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
College I assume?
What is there to assume? He already said the level...
I am taking IGCSE standard
Which is for high school kids. They say years 14-16 on some websites.

I sat Higher Biology (above GCSE and below A-Level) and frankly the exam was not that hard. Standard Grade Biology (slightly below GCSE) was also not that hard.

From my highschool experience I found that "past papers" (with answers, you must have the answers) were the best revision aid since >70% of the paper is a repetition of previous papers with "different numbers" (phrased differently, maybe different experiments you did in class, perhaps slightly different figures which are all solved in similar ways).

Study guides are also very useful since they give you practically everything you need to know for the exam. This includes parts which for some reason or another you might be missing from your personal notes (hand-written notes suck, sometimes teachers forget/run out of time to give you everything).

Once you are answering a past paper >90% correct you can be sure you are ready for the exam. You might not get 100% but you certainly will do well.

Be lucky it is Biology and not English. English exams are practically impossible to do well.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Guys! I need urgent help here! I admit I am not good at Biology. Anyone got any good ways to revise biology? I am taking IGCSE standard. Anyone?

Hi! I'm not a biologist, but what I do involves a lot of anatomy and my general method is very easily applicable to any field you work in.

If you start with a body of knowledge -- be it lectures, classes, a textbook, article or journal -- work this down into longhand notes which are divided up into topics. From there, you must revise these notes down further and further until they're in their shortest possible form. This should be no longer than a page. Finally? Write the notes back up into longhand again. The process is stepwise: you can only use information from the previous step to help you out (i.e. no looking at your first set of notes when you're trying to change from shorthand to longhand) and you shouldn't rush. Give yourself enough time to revise.

This has worked for me from primary school to high school, from college to my undergraduate degree, and then my masters degree too. Fortunately I don't have exams for my PhD, but I still deploy this method when I want to commit complex things to memory. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.